Old 29-03-2006, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Time for Cattleya to bloom?

Hi. I just bought a few 6 - 7 inch tall potted Cattleya orchids.
I'm wondering approximately how long will it take for them to bloom
(they will be indoors)?

Old 29-03-2006, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Ages,

My Cattleya var coerulea Mariauxi x self bloomed 2 weeks ago.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...auxiself05.jpg

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

=======================================

oups.com...

Old 29-03-2006, 07:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Mick, you are always so positive!

Let's put the question another way - how long since deflasking has your
Cattleya var coerulea Mariauxi x self taken to flower? (By the way, lovely
flower.)

This might give agesofmyst a better idea of how long he might have to wait.

Cheers

John

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
Ages,

My Cattleya var coerulea Mariauxi x self bloomed 2 weeks ago.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...auxiself05.jpg

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

=======================================

oups.com...

Old 29-03-2006, 07:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
agesofmyst

Yikes, 2 to 3 years! I hope they're the medium sized ones then.
Let's see; here some of the names from the stakes:

Blc. Toshie Aoki 'Carmela' - most I bought were similar to this, just
with different colored flowers (I don't have the stakes for those).

Slc. Hsin Buu Lady 'Y.T.' - this one I think is smaller, since I did
see a blooming one, and it was about 10" high.

Thanks for your help!

Steve wrote:

Some small Catt hybrids are blooming size at that height. If yours are
destined to be medium size, they may bloom on the next growth. If they
are destined to be full size Catts, they may need to make 2 or 3 more
growths before they get to flowering size and that could take 2 or 3 years.
If you want to tell us the names of yours, I or someone else here might
be able to tell you what to expect for final size.

Steve

Old 29-03-2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

John,

Ages' plants will flower in another 2 years 3 months 14 days. Cattleyas are
4 years from flask opening to blooming.

Mick

============================

"John Varigos" wrote in message
m...
Mick, you are always so positive!

Let's put the question another way - how long since deflasking has your
Cattleya var coerulea Mariauxi x self taken to flower? (By the way,
lovely flower.)

This might give agesofmyst a better idea of how long he might have to
wait.

Cheers

John

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
Ages,

My Cattleya var coerulea Mariauxi x self bloomed 2 weeks ago.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...auxiself05.jpg

Mick
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

=======================================

oups.com...

Old 29-03-2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Even for the "medium-sized" ones you could be looking at several years if
you're growing them indoors and aren't experienced with cattleyas. Make
sure they get lots of light. Do any of them have sheaths at the top of the
pseudobulb, or can you see the remains of an old inflorescence? If so then
they're blooming size already. If not be prepared for a wait.
-danny

oups.com...

Old 30-03-2006, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
agesofmyst

Thanks everyone for your help.

Mick: "Ages' plants will flower in another 2 years 3 months 14 days."
I'll mark the day on my calendar. ;-)

Old 30-03-2006, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Ages,

Glad to be of some assistance.

Mick