GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   eulophia graminea seed pod for trade (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/14221-eulophia-graminea-seed-pod-trade.html)

Jonathan Phua 08-04-2003 11:08 AM

eulophia graminea seed pod for trade

Hi,
I'm from Singapore and I've got a seed pod on my eulophia graminea. It's
pollinated by an insect. Anybody wants this seed pod? I'm looking for paph
or phal speices flask. Pls contact me at . I'll post a
pic of the seed pod later on. I'll send the dry seeds to you. Or in anyway
that you want me to. The flask that you send to me need not be flask with
many plants, it can be one of those small tubes with one or two plants
inside.
Here's a pic of my plants
http://forum.theorchidsource.com/thread.asp?m=119911.
Hope someone is willing to trade with me.

Jonathan

Mick Fournier 08-04-2003 12:56 PM

eulophia graminea seed pod for trade

Jonathan,

Unless you know this insect personally and where exactly he/she/it obtained
the pollen used to pollinate your plant's flower I would be hesitant to hope
a breeder (ie an ethical breeder) would be interested in your pod. It
"might" be a selfing, or a sib cross, or a who-knows-what hybrid. The risk
in getting a dud hybrid is often not worth the investment of time & effort
over several years waiting for the offspring to bloom out and to confirm it
is a pure species grex in order to make an honest sale of the plants to
re-coup the breeder's investment.

Mick

Jonathan Phua 09-04-2003 12:44 AM

eulophia graminea seed pod for trade

Hi,
It's sure to be a selfing. There aren't any other orchids around that area.
That's the only eulophia species I have growing in my garden.

Jonathan
.. .

Mick Fournier 09-04-2003 02:32 AM

eulophia graminea seed pod for trade

Jonathan,

Good... sorta... that is, if it isn't an intergeneric hybrid. You might
find someone now to take it off your hands. I am not too keen on selfings
anymore. If I get 200 viable plants out of a selfing pod I think I have
done well. Most of the time selfings only produce runts and protocorm that
never differentiates into anything worth growing out. I like sib crosses of
species better.

Mick