Old 12-04-2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Default Leptotes bicolor Mini Species

How do I treat this little darling? I plan to put it in a wee S/H
filled glazed or plastic pot, will that work? Maybe pick out a half cup
of the smallest pebbles. Plan to put it in a south window, over my
kitchen sink, maybe back just a bit till I figure out the light
requirements. This is a BS plant with 4 leaves and you could easily
loose it in a shirt pocket!
Joe T
Houston

Old 12-04-2006, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John DeGood

jtill wrote:
How do I treat this little darling? I plan to put it in a wee S/H
filled glazed or plastic pot, will that work? Maybe pick out a half cup
of the smallest pebbles. Plan to put it in a south window, over my
kitchen sink, maybe back just a bit till I figure out the light
requirements. This is a BS plant with 4 leaves and you could easily
loose it in a shirt pocket!
Joe T
Houston

I bought a Leptotes bicolor at my society auction last May, immediately
repotted it in S/H using "medium" PrimeAgra in an 8 oz yogurt container,
and it has positively thrived. It's in bloom now with 10 flowers and
has almost outgrown the yogurt cup. Mine is in an East window.

It's a very cute little plant. Its growth habit reminds me of Medusa's
hair. :-)

John
Old 12-04-2006, 04:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Well That makes me feel much better about repoting mine into S/H. It
just finished 3 blooms, and makes some of my other mini's look almost
medium.

Jack

Old 13-04-2006, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I could be wrong Joe, but I think Leptotes bicolor is a plant I'd not put in
S/H (tolumnia being the other). I'm not saying it won't work, but mine are
on tree fern blocks hung up high in the GH where they see bright sun and
high humidity, and they seem to like the totally dry periods between
watering.

If anyone has experience with them in S/H, I'd like to hear about it.

oups.com...

Old 14-04-2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John DeGood

Ray wrote:
I could be wrong Joe, but I think Leptotes bicolor is a plant I'd not put in
S/H (tolumnia being the other). I'm not saying it won't work, but mine are
on tree fern blocks hung up high in the GH where they see bright sun and
high humidity, and they seem to like the totally dry periods between
watering.

If anyone has experience with them in S/H, I'd like to hear about it.

Ray, I bought a division at my society auction in May 2005 and not
knowing any better immediately potted it in S/H. It responded with
plenty of new growth and so far seems happy (I posted photos in a.b.p.o).

John

Old 14-04-2006, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Well, now I am conflicted! ;-)) When you get advice from good sources
and it is opposed about the only course left open is to get another
plant and pot them one in S/H and one on tree fern!
In truth, the plant arrived in a one and a half inch pot with large
charcoal chunks as medium. It is in great shape so for now I will go
with that. I will research the plant's wild habit and with that,
considering also your advice, choose a potting method.
My early use of clay pots with S/H has failed. The clay pots just
evaporate to much water. The saucer, pot and surface of the clay is one
huge evaporator. After obtaining some of Ray's S/H pots I noted how
tall they were for their diameter. Much less evaporation, deeper sump
etc. The humidity gradient seems much better in them. So, I am now
switching to Ray's pots and setting them in the clay pots or coke
crates to brace them against the wind.
Joe T
Houston

Old 14-04-2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:41:05 -0400 in John DeGood wrote:
Ray wrote:
I could be wrong Joe, but I think Leptotes bicolor is a plant I'd not put in
S/H (tolumnia being the other). I'm not saying it won't work, but mine are
on tree fern blocks hung up high in the GH where they see bright sun and
high humidity, and they seem to like the totally dry periods between
watering.

If anyone has experience with them in S/H, I'd like to hear about it.

Ray, I bought a division at my society auction in May 2005 and not
knowing any better immediately potted it in S/H. It responded with
plenty of new growth and so far seems happy (I posted photos in a.b.p.o).

Are you growing in a greenhouse or windowsill/underlights?

I have a vague recollection of Howeara not doing well in S/H,
but it's been insanely happy in my house.
--
Chris Dukes
tajwerk this job isnt bad though. Today we had free breakfast and
Old 14-04-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Howearas are quite like tolumnias in that respect.

In semi-hydroponics in a dry household, the wicking action has a hard time
keeping up with the evaporation rate, so the "wet/dry demarcation" is
relatively low in the pot, hence the root system tends to stay drier.

rg...

Old 15-04-2006, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John DeGood

If anyone has experience with them in S/H, I'd like to hear about it.

Ray, I bought a division at my society auction in May 2005 and not
knowing any better immediately potted it in S/H. It responded with
plenty of new growth and so far seems happy (I posted photos in a.b.p.o).

Are you growing in a greenhouse or windowsill/underlights?

I grow indoors in an East-facing patio door. --John

Old 15-04-2006, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wshl7

"John DeGood" schreef in bericht
. ..
If anyone has experience with them in S/H, I'd like to hear about it.

Ray, I bought a division at my society auction in May 2005 and not
knowing any better immediately potted it in S/H. It responded with
plenty of new growth and so far seems happy (I posted photos in a.b.p.o).

Are you growing in a greenhouse or windowsill/underlights?

I grow indoors in an East-facing patio door. --John

Would somebody pls explain to a non-english/american newby what S/H stands
for?
thank you.
Steffie

Old 15-04-2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Semi-Hydroponics

http://www.firstrays.com/semi-hydro.htm

ll.nl...

Old 15-04-2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wshl7

Thanks,dat website answers about all my questions :-)
steffie

"Ray" schreef in bericht
Semi-Hydroponics

http://www.firstrays.com/semi-hydro.htm

ll.nl...

Old 18-04-2006, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Hello Boys and Girls!
Finally ... something to add! :-)
I brought a Leptotes bicolor a few years ago, I can't remember if it
was from Ray's or Kenni's (First Rays or Juno Beach respectively). I
started with bark and in a couple years it filled a 3 inch pot. I
divided it last year and now have one in Sphagnum, two in bark and two
in osmunda - they are all doing very well and flowering. Before I
divided it it would flower twice a year and have two or three flowers
per ps'bulb. It smells wonderful! I grow in an Eastern window,
humidity about 30 - 40 % (a guess) and I spray the leaves usually every
other day or so with water. It's one of my favorite plants.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, PA

Old 18-04-2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Good work Bob! I have one in a 1 1/2 inch pot, four leaves. Working on
how to pot it. Your comments will be studied.
Joe T
Houston