Old 12-04-2006, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Default I came a cross a site today that impressed me.

Don't know if anyelse has used Troy Meyers conservitory (
http://www.troymeyers.com/ ) He flasks species orchids for free, you
get the first flask, then can buy the rest for $29.50, He then post the
flasking on his website and produces the number ordered; the excess
seed is dontated to the Orchid Seedbank Project. For custom flasking
or hybrids it's $24 for seed assay and set of mother, your committed to
buying 3 flask and unless specified otherwise the excess is destroyed.

Oh and did I mention that the low yeald flasks are brought up to
compots, which are nicely priced.

Definately a sight worth checking out, especially for all the rare
species (only 29.50 a flask).

Jack

Old 13-04-2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
mmccaws2

I've had the opportunity to visited Troy's Conservancy. He has a
nicely runned operation, well thought out. I'm jealous. He has
customers from all over, I'm sure he'll set you right. Just ask him
about your needs, he real straight forward. I've purchased many of the
compots.

Mike

Old 13-04-2006, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Thanks, I was very impressed and when I saw a flask of Neofinetia that
run about $150 to 225 a plant I joined the mailing list for the next
batch, and he has so many species that are hard to find or are very
expensive I know that when I get my green house I am investing in
deflasking and compotting supplies. Guess I'll have to join the E-bay
sales crowd to sell the extras because thats the most affordable way I
have found to expand my collection.

Jack

Old 13-04-2006, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Jack wrote:
Thanks, I was very impressed and when I saw a flask of Neofinetia that
run about $150 to 225 a plant I joined the mailing list for the next
batch, and he has so many species that are hard to find or are very
expensive I know that when I get my green house I am investing in
deflasking and compotting supplies. Guess I'll have to join the E-bay
sales crowd to sell the extras because thats the most affordable way I
have found to expand my collection.

Jack

Jack,

You aren't paying that much for a plant, you are paying that much for a
division... Seedling neofinetias are inexpensive. What gives them high
value is the Japanese obsession with anything weird (variegation, odd
shaped leaves, etc.). A lot of these clones might never even bloom,
but they don't care. All the clones have japanese names (and a formal
rank in a sort of weird ranking system). Some plants might go for
$25,000 a growth, if you could convince the owner to part with one. I
actually have a bunch of low to mid range ones taking up residence in my
greenhouse right now (but they aren't mine).

There are 'americanized' neofinetia which may follow the normal rules of
orchids (judged based on flowers, etc). Even, *GASP*, mericloned neos.
You'd get the Yakuza knocking on your door if you mericloned a rare
one in Japan. Well, maybe not, but they take it very seriously. The
japanese way is to propagate only by division (the variegations don't
usually come through intact in cloning, anyway), and they throw most of
the divisions away.

Anyway, that is a 'get what you pay for' kind of warning. They are
great plants though, cool flowers and easy to grow. Well worth growing
up a flask or two, just don't expect to get premium prices when you sell
them.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 14-04-2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

No, but from what I read the variated leaves and some of the growth
habit comes through in the seedling, besides maybe I'll get a really
strange on and then be RICH RICH RICH, well own a neat plant, I mostly
want Neofinetia falcata var. Syutenno 'John's Sparky' AM/AOS x self,
which has nice pink flowers, and cross it with a striped one, that
might be interesting.

Jack

Old 14-04-2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Well, just to see what you guys were talking about I Googled up some
photos then searched Ebay for "Neofinetia" and found about 25. Priced
from 9.99 to 485 bucks. Still don't understand the attraction though
they are pretty plants and blooms.
Joe T
Houston

Old 14-04-2006, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Well why does your wife / girlfreind insist on a dimond when a dimond
is one of the most common gemstones there is? (the awnser is DEBEIRS,
and no it is not a comspiracy therory)

The same thing, most of the most expesive plants are wild collected,
old and every division of them is either held by one owner (all 2
spares) or burned.

But I just like the pretty pink ones.....which are---
1) Different
2) Rare
3) therefore in demand and hard to come by

Jack

Old 14-04-2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Oh and BTW

Has anyone checked out the website?

I thought I was neet.

During evolution, Which one came first: Monocots or Dicots? Self pollinated plants or cross pollinated plants? Ali Plant Science 2 15-08-2005 06:51 PM
Not terribly impressed with glyphosate, but not a total waste of time ken cohen United Kingdom 2 29-08-2003 08:02 PM
Im Impressed Stewart Orchids 1 21-03-2003 06:08 AM
I'm impressed ..." At Last" david United Kingdom 7 20-02-2003 06:26 PM
I'm impressed david United Kingdom 5 17-02-2003 05:29 PM