Old 12-04-2006, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
cvandyke

Default Harpin protein/Messenger

Has anyone looked into treating orchids with a product called "Harpin" with
a trade name Messenger made by EDEN Bioscience. Info on their website
(www.edenbio.com) sounds very intriguing. There is reference to an article
in the journal SCIENCE that indicates that the harpin protein can be very
beneficial to certain plants. Disease resistance, increased plant growth
etc.

Thanks

Charles VanDyke

Old 12-04-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

I haven't tried it yet (have a few sample packets laying around.) I heard a
presentation from one of their reps at a dahlia society meeting. It sounds
like there is some possibility it could be useful. I think they isolated a
protein from a fungus that attacks plants and when the plants senses the
protein it is supposed to trigger more growth. One thing that turned me off
was that their advertising at the time had the standard testimonials like "I
sprayed this on my plants and every orchid I owned bloomed withing two
weeks" which is complete bulls**t. The rep mentioned that they had a newer
product with a couple additional proteins because the original protein
didn't provide any benefit to one of the major crops (corn? cotton? I can't
remember, have some notes buried somewhere around here but that may take a
couple days to find). The three-protein formulation was being sold as a
foliar fertilizer, can't remember the exact name right now.
-danny

]...

Old 13-04-2006, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I've read about it before, and thought it might be worth playing with, even
though it isn't listed for orchids.

Eden sells individual-gallon packets for $3 (the shelf life is 3 weeks after
opening, so don't get a bigger package).

"danny" wrote in message
[...]

]...

Old 15-04-2006, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Tom Randy

On 2006-04-12 09:33:57 -0400, cvandyke said:

Has anyone looked into treating orchids with a product called "Harpin"
with a trade name Messenger made by EDEN Bioscience. Info on their
website (www.edenbio.com) sounds very intriguing. There is reference to
an article in the journal SCIENCE that indicates that the harpin
protein can be very beneficial to certain plants. Disease resistance,
increased plant growth etc.

Thanks

Charles VanDyke

Ralph Snodsmith swears by the stuff. Haven't tried it yet personally.

Old 18-06-2012, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Messenger is no longer offered in the market, but a newer generation of Harpin is being released in July 2012 called Axiom Harpin Protein. Check out the research and results which are impressive. http://www.axiom-harpin.com/ or http://www.rxgreensolutions.com/prod...arpin-protein/

Harpin--Plant Protein Gene Schurg Orchids 9 07-03-2005 12:02 PM
Messenger -- can you tell? Scopata Fuori Roses 1 29-05-2003 06:21 AM
Messenger Scopata Fuori Roses 3 10-05-2003 06:56 AM
NEWS: IT messenger ushers in new era in Rajasthan villages Frederick Noronha \(FN\) sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 01:31 PM
NEWS: IT messenger ushers in new era in Rajasthan villages Frederick Noronha \(FN\) sci.agriculture 0 15-04-2003 08:44 PM