Old 18-04-2006, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pfui!

Default Bought Without Blooms

I recently purchased a Phalaenopsis-hybrid orchid, with no blooms on
it. I have been taken all known measures, temperature, humidity,
indirect sunlight, etc. I've had it 2 weeks, and would like to know
what extra measure I can take to promote blooming.

Old 18-04-2006, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

The "extra measure" is patience.

Many phals need to be exposed to a day/night temperature drop of about
10°F-15°F for a couple of weeks in order to initiate the formation of an
inflorescence about 6-8 weeks later. For the in-home grower, that typically
happens in the autumn when nighttime temperatures cool the air sufficiently
that the plant sees those temperature variations near a window (it should
never see below 50°).

Hybrids involving some species - especially yellow hybrids - may be summer
bloomers instead, so that won't be an issue.

In the mean time, keep it fed and watered correctly, and it should be good
and healthy whenever it's ready to bloom.

oups.com...

Old 19-04-2006, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pfui!

Thank You Both Danny, and Ray!

Old 19-04-2006, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Not so fast there partner, tie your horse off for a minute, sit a
spell. Everybody says their taking care of their plants, what they
don't say is what mistakes they might be making. Tell us how your
taking care of your plant. What window it's in, do you empty out the
overflo tray etc. Don't leave out nuthing, then you can hit the trail.
(don't forget to see Miss Kitty on your way out-she's a cutie)

Old 19-04-2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

aside from specifics of culture, I could say "prey". That should help.

Old 19-04-2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

"prey" or "pray"? If you prey on orchids, stay far away from my collection
:-)
-danny

wrote in message
oups.com...
aside from specifics of culture, I could say "prey". That should help.

Old 20-04-2006, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pfui!

Well... I keep it in a east window where it gets good morning light but
not too much. I water it once a week, or when the the area around the
roots feels relatively dry. I fertilize it every other week. I keep the
temperature of our house at about 72 degrees F. Also I keep a small
amout of pebbles and water below the plant for humidity.

Old 20-04-2006, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Very good, come to the head of the class. Some days when it's real
hot they also like a fan to circulate the air.

Old 21-04-2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pfui!

Sorry, I forgot to mention I also keep my ceiling fan on, most days.

Old 21-04-2006, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Oh! Extra credit student. A+

Old 21-04-2006, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pfui!

I gotta tell ya friend, you crack me up! LOL

Old 23-04-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

If you live in a cold climate, that may be fine, and I will leave you to the
many experts we have from such areas. But in hot climates like my own south
Florida, Phals kept in constant-temp ac-d homes do not tend to initiate new
inflorescences.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"Pfui!" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well... I keep it in a east window where it gets good morning light but
not too much. I water it once a week, or when the the area around the
roots feels relatively dry. I fertilize it every other week. I keep the
temperature of our house at about 72 degrees F. Also I keep a small
amout of pebbles and water below the plant for humidity.

Agapanthus without blooms Peggy Gardening 0 07-09-2008 08:53 PM
they are recommending without lean, alongside unique, without shallow counters Brave Burping Dog United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 03:42 PM
Coalition of the Bought Otto Bahn North Carolina 80 09-05-2003 09:20 PM
I bought 4 cheapies Jane Roses 2 16-03-2003 06:44 PM
store bought bio filters Tim Wardell Ponds 4 02-03-2003 04:03 PM