Old 19-04-2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default OT web hosts

OK, I need cheap web space. I see 1&1 Hosting has 5 GB space for $5 a
month. But in the back of my mind I seem to recall that they aren't great
to work with. Anyone have any input on web hosts? Currently I'm with
1-hour hosting I get 200MB space for over $150/yr, and that's nuts,
especailly in light of the amount of space and lower costs the newer hosts
charge. Considering I have 3 webpages (all orchid related) this costs a few
bucks.

K Barrett

Old 19-04-2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:08:26 -0700 in K Barrett wrote:
OK, I need cheap web space. I see 1&1 Hosting has 5 GB space for $5 a
month. But in the back of my mind I seem to recall that they aren't great
to work with. Anyone have any input on web hosts? Currently I'm with
1-hour hosting I get 200MB space for over $150/yr, and that's nuts,
especailly in light of the amount of space and lower costs the newer hosts
charge. Considering I have 3 webpages (all orchid related) this costs a few
bucks.

You provide insufficient information. Here are a few questions to
ask yourself in order of priority.

Is it active content or static content?
If it is active content, how much of the active content is provided through
custom software and how much is provided through off the shelf software?
How much bandwidth is consumed by people retrieving those web pages?
What level of reliability do you need?
What level of service do you need?
How do you normally update your content?
Are you open to changing how you update your content?

--
Chris Dukes
tajwerk this job isnt bad though. Today we had free breakfast and
Old 19-04-2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

I use 1&1 and have no problems. The software they provide is very good and
the price is great. I've had very little down time at all and for only short
periods of time. I've never had to contact them for service other than
initial signup and domain acquisition so I can't respond to that. But it
looks to me like you are a web-saavy person who can probably handle all you
need yourself from instructions. That's all I do. For 25x the space at half
the price, all the email boxes you could ever want, what's not to love?
Gary

Old 19-04-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

rg...
K Barrett wrote:
[...]

These are not business pages. They are just pages for judging centers and
hobby groups. Bandwidth is minimal at best. I upload using WS-FTP LE.
Mostly pictures (lo resolution) and text. See
http://www.aospacificcentral.org. for an example. I update them once or
twice a month. Once a page is published I rarely go back and change it.
Content is static, I suppose.

Because these are shoestring operations I don't want to break the banks of
the sponsoring societies in order to house their webpages.

K Barrett

Old 20-04-2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
OK, I need cheap web space. I see 1&1 Hosting has 5 GB space for $5 a
month. But in the back of my mind I seem to recall that they aren't great
to work with. Anyone have any input on web hosts? Currently I'm with
1-hour hosting I get 200MB space for over $150/yr, and that's nuts,
especailly in light of the amount of space and lower costs the newer hosts
charge. Considering I have 3 webpages (all orchid related) this costs a few
bucks.

K Barrett

Very useful site for someone looking for web hosting.
http://webhostingtalk.com

Old 20-04-2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

wrote in message
oups.com...

K Barrett wrote:
OK, I need cheap web space. I see 1&1 Hosting has 5 GB space for $5 a
month. But in the back of my mind I seem to recall that they aren't
great
to work with. Anyone have any input on web hosts? Currently I'm with
1-hour hosting I get 200MB space for over $150/yr, and that's nuts,
especailly in light of the amount of space and lower costs the newer
hosts
charge. Considering I have 3 webpages (all orchid related) this costs a
few
bucks.

K Barrett

Very useful site for someone looking for web hosting.
http://webhostingtalk.com

Thanks I'll look at it!

Old 20-04-2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Kathy, I asked my daughter & she uses this one:-

http://www.godaddy.com/
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 20-04-2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Paul Simon

Check sonic.net. They're in Santa Rosa, prices are reasonable, and
absolutely the most helpful and knowledeable techs. I took a quick look and
for more than 250 Mb storage there is web hosting at $20/mo for a lot of Gb.
Their regular DSL account is about $50/mo but is static IP, actually if you
want they'll give three more for nothing.

Paul Simon

Old 21-04-2006, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mark_OK

http://www.z-host.com

I've used them for years.

Old 21-04-2006, 05:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:14:52 GMT, "Mark_OK" wrote:

http://www.z-host.com

I've used them for years.

Denver is hosted at Minnesotashopper.com - Just paid the bill.
Domain and Basic package (BECN code, but no definition) @ $ 9.95 per
month & renew domain name is $ 15 total $ 134.40
10% discount for annual payment
total due 120.90. Last year this time it was119.40 So not much
change.

We have someone else doing the web pages so I don't know any details
about her interaction with them. She does update sections as she
wishes -- but she is a web designer so has all the bells and whistles
at her beck and call.

SuE

Dutch Elm Disease Hypothesis-- maples are hosts of the vectors Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Plant Science 8 24-08-2010 05:30 PM
Web hosting for your gardening web site. $1.95 per month Hostronica Web Hosting Gardening 0 01-05-2003 06:56 AM
re web pages John Rutz Ponds 11 01-04-2003 12:56 AM
biores.org web directory biores.org Plant Science 0 31-03-2003 04:32 PM
THANKS!-the Hosts was it Henry Gardening 0 22-02-2003 03:03 PM