Old 08-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Tonette

Default Question about all kinds of rocks using for potting orchids

Hi all,

Where do I buy all these different rocks that you guys mentioned in this
newsgroup, like charcoals, sponge rocks, lava rocks, red rocks etc..

Thank you much

Old 08-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Kenni Judd

The first place to try should be your local orchid nursery [Yellow Pages,
under Orchid Growers]. If you don't have one nearby, or need huge
quantities, look for an orchid supply house. OFE Int'l in Miami is very
big, as is Tropical Plant Products in the Orlando area. There are a few
smaller companies listed in the links section of my website, all
Florida-based. Some of these things are heavy, so shipping charges can be
hefty, look for one close to you. Good hunting,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 08-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Claude

Hello!

I grow all my orchids in semi hydroponic culture using Hydroton, clay
pellets !
You can buy them at any hydroponic store or look on Ebay!

I have fantastic result with that type of culture!

Claude

Old 09-04-2003, 12:21 AM
profpam

Hi, Tonette,

Charcoals, sponge rocks, lava rocks, etc. can be found at major, local
nurseries -- even in the areas in which I live. Use lava rock for
Dendrobrians; plant other orchids in a mixture of charcoal, fir bark,
and perlite. You can even obtain supplies on the internet:
http://www.firstrays.com Ray has a bunch of stuff in planting mediums.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Mangement System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 09-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Diana Kulaga

Tonette,

For plain old fashioned rock, you can simply go to Home Depot or Lowes and
pick up "river rock" in whatever size you need. As with any stone, it needs
to be rinsed before using. At those locally based stores you can usually
also find charcoal and lava rock. For high quality spaghnum moss, or
aliflor, or spongerock, you'll need to either visit your orchid grower or
order online, as Pam said.

Diana

Old 09-04-2003, 02:32 AM
V_coerulea

Besides those mentionned above, there are of course others. One of note in
the north (Ohio) is http://www.orchidmix.com/ Roberts Flower Supply, an
orchid material supplier and cypripedium grower.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Wendy

Hi Tonette, depending where you are, there is a place in Orange County,
S.Calif.,
Orange County Farm Supply
They have huge bags of #3 sponge rock, charcoal, bark, pumice etc.
Cheers Wendy