Old 09-05-2006, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty

Default Can an orchid be both bifoliate and unifoliate?

In 2002, I bought a little C. Little Angel '#1' x B. Digbyana 'Laura'
AM/AOS from Carter and Holmes. Alas, it has yet to flower, and my guess
is that it yearns for a greenhouse, but I don't know. The plant has,
however, grown and multipled in S/H culture, and today I divided it
into three plants. The divisions have 5, 7, and 10 pseudobulbs.
Curiously, some of the plant's mature leaves are bifoliate, and some
are unifoliate. ??? I thought that orchids in the Cattleya family were
supposed to be either one or the other. Is this a sign that I have a
defective or confused plant?

I had planned on selling two of the divisions at an OS sale, but
thought I'd better first find out if I might be unloading dud plants on
unsuspecting buyers, which I don't want to do. Thanks for any help you
can provide.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Curiously, some of the plant's mature leaves are bifoliate, and some
are unifoliate. ??? I thought that orchids in the Cattleya family were
supposed to be either one or the other. Is this a sign that I have a
defective or confused plant?

I can't speak to this particular hybrid, but the condition is based on the
parentage. Not so unusual.

Diana

Old 09-05-2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

This hybrid is called Angel Lace and I am posting a pic over on abpo. Any
plant of this hybrid of the size you describe is of flowering size. Maybe a
little more light would help (I do grow mine in a greenhouse.).
Gary

ups.com...

Old 10-05-2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

OrchidKitty wrote:
In 2002, I bought a little C. Little Angel '#1' x B. Digbyana 'Laura'
AM/AOS from Carter and Holmes.

(snip)
Curiously, some of the plant's mature leaves are bifoliate, and some
are unifoliate. ??? I thought that orchids in the Cattleya family were
supposed to be either one or the other. Is this a sign that I have a
defective or confused plant?

Rhyncholaelia (Brassavola) digbyana is unifoliate, IIRC. Cattleya
Little Angel is C. Obrieniana x C. loddigesii (bifoliate). C.
Obrieniana is C. dolosa (bifoliate) x C. loddigesii.

So, your plant has both unifoliate and bifoliate species in its
background. Immature pseudobulbs of bifoliate species may also be
unifoliate, and lack of light could be reducing the number of leaves.

I had planned on selling two of the divisions at an OS sale, but
thought I'd better first find out if I might be unloading dud plants on
unsuspecting buyers, which I don't want to do. Thanks for any help you
can provide.

R. digbyana wants very high light and in in nature experiences a
prolonged dry period. Most growers keep it mounted or in a basket.
Cattleya dolosa and C. loddigesii would also do well mounted in fairly
bright light. It may be that your plant just needs more light (try
outdoors in almost full sun in summer), but the lack of variation in
moisture levels might also inhibit flowering. Perhaps not the best
candidate for semi-hydroponic.

Nick

Old 10-05-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty

Thank you and everyone for responding. I'll summer my plant outside and
advise buyers of the other two plants that they may want to mount them.