Old 14-05-2006, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Peter A

Default Scale insect help

I have a chronic scale insect infestation and think I may be trying to
deal with it the wrong way because they keep coming back. I'll inspect
the plant and remove any visible critters with an alcohol-dipped swab,
the spray the plant well with alcohol. Do I need to do something to the
roots as well? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

--
Peter Aitken
Old 14-05-2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

If you keep getting a "return engagement", then you're not getting the
entire population.

If I have a plant with scale, I dip a soft toothbrush in soapy water (I use
my Rise & Shine, as it's more broad spectrum of a killer, having organic
soaps and oils, and alcohol in it) and gently scrub them off of every
exposed plant surface, letting the soap run down into the leaf axils and any
other crevice the brush cannot reach. I rinse the plant afterwards to wash
off any insect residue or loose eggs, but then also spray the entire
greenhouse with a dilute soap solution to get any crawlers that may have
moved on from the bad plant.

Repeat that spray treatment for 3 or 4 times at 3 or 4-day intervals, and
that usually takes care of it.

If I find I've been negligent and have a more extensive infestation, I apply
a combination of Orthene or Merit and Enstar II, followed by Enstar alone at
weekly intervals for three applications.

Old 15-05-2006, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Marty

before you give your plant an acid bath or spray it with something
nasty, give this a try. Never tried it on scales, but sure works great
on other parasites

http://www.orchidboard.com/eliminate...pests-with-co2

Marty

Old 15-05-2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill

Peter A wrote:
I have a chronic scale insect infestation and think I may be trying to
deal with it the wrong way because they keep coming back. I'll inspect
the plant and remove any visible critters with an alcohol-dipped swab,
the spray the plant well with alcohol. Do I need to do something to the
roots as well? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.

--
Peter Aitken

Hi Peter, Check your yard or house for Palm Trees-- they are a major
host for scale & if you have any-- treat them too. If you have a host
plant for any pest-- you will continue to see them till you treat the
host-- hope this helps -- good luck, Bill

Old 15-05-2006, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:47:37 GMT in Peter A wrote:
I have a chronic scale insect infestation and think I may be trying to
deal with it the wrong way because they keep coming back. I'll inspect
the plant and remove any visible critters with an alcohol-dipped swab,
the spray the plant well with alcohol. Do I need to do something to the
roots as well? Is there a better way?

I've had good results with bayer tree and shrub used weekly with the
watering/fertilizing for about a month.
I think the ratio I ended up on was 1oz/gallon, and removal of the critters
continued as well.
--
Chris Dukes
tajwerk this job isnt bad though. Today we had free breakfast and

Old 15-05-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Peter A

In article .com,
says...
before you give your plant an acid bath or spray it with something
nasty, give this a try. Never tried it on scales, but sure works great
on other parasites

http://www.orchidboard.com/eliminate...pests-with-co2

Marty

Sounds interesting. I have a CO2 tank left over from my aquarium days.
Maybe I'll try it and report back.

--
Peter Aitken
Old 15-05-2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill

Some people have "Parlor Palms"-- Areca Palms in pots inside their
house.

Old 15-05-2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

If you have a host
plant for any pest-- you will continue to see them till you treat the
host-- hope this helps -- good luck, Bill

Exactly right. Down here, gardenia bushes are thrip magnets. I can't bring
myself to get rid of them, so we treat them often.

Diana

Old 16-05-2006, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Peter: In keeping with what others have said -- yes, you need to do more
than just a single cleaning with alcohol. Followup sprayings with something
stronger like Orthene are good, also finding any treating any infested "host
plants" in the area [palms, hibiscus, etc.] and treating them as well. But
for a really stubborn infestation, yes, sometimes you do need to do
something for the roots -- repot! If the #@$@ critters have gotten down
into your potting mix, that's the only way you'll ever really be rid of
them. And it is that time of year ... Kenni