Old 15-05-2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Default S/H Repotting.

Say you have a large plant in traditional medium and you repot in S/H.
The roots will die off and be replaced by roots adapted to S/H,
correct? Should you, after a few months, repot to remove all the old
roots?

Joe T
Houston

Old 16-05-2006, 06:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On 15 May 2006 08:42:43 -0700, "jtill" wrote:

Say you have a large plant in traditional medium and you repot in S/H.
The roots will die off and be replaced by roots adapted to S/H,
correct? Should you, after a few months, repot to remove all the old
roots?

Joe T
Houston

We have never needed to do so. We move all Paphs, Phrags, and
Cymbidiums to S/H as soon as reasonable. Only problem we have ever
had with it was a Cym Golden Elf which grew such strong roots it would
burst the S/H container the second year.
SuE
Old 16-05-2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty

What do you use for S/H pots when your plants outgrow the largest size
of S/H pots available-and you want to keep them as speciment plants?
I've had the problem...

Old 16-05-2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

OrchidKitty wrote:
What do you use for S/H pots when your plants outgrow the largest size
of S/H pots available-and you want to keep them as speciment plants?
I've had the problem...

Well... You can get plastic trash cans (they come in all sizes, try
Target or MallWart), and burn or drill a few holes in the side. I've
used gallon milk jugs with the top cut off (with the handle still on,
looks weird but convenient). For really big plants, a five gallon
bucket works well (I only have one potted that way).

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 16-05-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Thanks Susan, your WEB site is terrific! I have a blooming C. Jose
Marti 'Mother's Favorite' in an 8" pot that is just filled with roots
and I want to repot after it blooms out, seven blooms! That made some
real points with my wife! I plan to use PrimeAgra from Ray. I want a
clear plastic pot but that is a problem. I wonder about the roots and
thank you for the answer. I got the plant from Hausermann's out of
Chicago , their site is rough on an orchid type, sooooooooooo many
beauties!!! Anyway, I have started buying large plants, to bypass all
that "waiting to exhale". Now I know why some folk say that S/H is
expensive. Good that it is durable!
Joe T
Houston

Old 16-05-2006, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Ray, some of us need larger S/H pots!
Joe T Houston

Old 16-05-2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Once upon a time I offered bigger ones and they went so slowly, I only get
them for myself now.

ups.com...

Old 16-05-2006, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On 16 May 2006 09:06:46 -0700, "jtill" wrote:

Thanks Susan, your WEB site is terrific! I have a blooming C. Jose
Marti 'Mother's Favorite' in an 8" pot that is just filled with roots
and I want to repot after it blooms out, seven blooms! That made some
real points with my wife! I plan to use PrimeAgra from Ray. I want a
clear plastic pot but that is a problem. I wonder about the roots and
thank you for the answer. I got the plant from Hausermann's out of
Chicago , their site is rough on an orchid type, sooooooooooo many
beauties!!! Anyway, I have started buying large plants, to bypass all
that "waiting to exhale". Now I know why some folk say that S/H is
expensive. Good that it is durable!
Joe T
Houston

You like the web site - Go to the Festival and DO the Chicago group.
http://www.chicagolandorchidfestival.com/htm/info.html
We used to live in Des Plaines just a few miles north of Hausermann's.
John knows the roads and traffic, what we want, and where to look.
So now we can DO the Festival in a day. But to take your time thru
the entire set is a nice two day trip. If your unfamiliar with the
area a good Illinois map helps.

Not as exotic as RedLands - but generally not as hot either. A couple
of years it was 1/2 day of light mist. So come prepared.

SuE
Old 17-05-2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Not as exotic as RedLands - but generally not as hot either.

Now, now, Sue, we don't even feel the heat down there. Too busy searching
under tables and behind boxes for those nifty, unusual orchids, LOL!

Diana

Old 17-05-2006, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

I will consider that trip. Houston just had an orchid show and it was
very good. But, no big time nurseries here to visit and I have already
seen Houston. ;-))
Joe T

Old 17-05-2006, 10:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
emntee

Hi All

Please forgive a dumb question but I have been reading this thread and
trying to figure out what S/H means in this context. Shadehouse
certainly doesn't fit and for a while I thought you must all be
refering to second hand. Perhaps its a term us 'down unders' haven't
come across.

But as of now, I don't have a clue. Put me out of my misery please

Tony

Old 17-05-2006, 11:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

SemiHydrophonics, a term R Barkalow invented to describe his
trademarked potting medium method. You can get the full story at
FirstRays.com. It is worth your time to visit that site. Sorry for
using the S/H shorthand.
Joe T
Houston

[IBC] Repotting- Newbie question Luis Fontanills Bonsai 6 01-04-2003 08:20 AM
repotting. Buridan Bonsai 0 15-02-2003 10:03 PM
[IBC] Trunk chop and repotting Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 30-01-2003 12:36 PM
Trunk chop and repotting ss Bonsai 2 30-01-2003 05:37 AM
Repotting Phalanopsis Greg Orchids 5 26-01-2003 05:09 AM