Old 17-05-2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default Dendrobium Books

We are looking at Dendrobium books in light of all the new changes to
the group, I want some recommendations.

Do you think the changes will take?
Who is the best author?

These are the two new books on the market -
Dendrobium and it's Relatives by Bill Lavarack, Wayne Harris -
paperback and not released until 8/15/06.

The Dendrobiums by Howard P. Wood - hardback
released 7/15/06.

Is there a different book I should be looking at for current
information? These are the two that Amazon lists as current.
We do have the Baker book, but it is from 1996.

Thanks for the advise.
SuE
Old 18-05-2006, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Dendrobium and it's Relatives was published in 2000 as a hardcover. They
are just re-releasing it as a paperback. You should be able to find someone
that has it (I haven't really read it much). The new book by Wood is three
times the size (and more than three times the price). I don't think there
are any other current books.
-danny

Old 18-05-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 17 May 2006 20:04:07 -0400, "danny" wrote:

Dendrobium and it's Relatives was published in 2000 as a hardcover. They
are just re-releasing it as a paperback. You should be able to find someone
that has it (I haven't really read it much). The new book by Wood is three
times the size (and more than three times the price). I don't think there
are any other current books.
-danny

These are the two new books on the market -
Dendrobium and it's Relatives by Bill Lavarack, Wayne Harris -
paperback and not released until 8/15/06.

The Dendrobiums by Howard P. Wood - hardback
released 7/15/06.

Danny -
Thanks for the advice. Buy.com has a better discount than Amazon on
either book. Of course they have been advertising here that they will
beat Amazon by at least 10% on books.

I will try for the Den & Relative. in hardback. That would be better
for the Library. We had someone allow a 4 year old to carry one the
OS's books and drop it. The impact split the cover from the text. So
now we are a little more wary.

Any other MUST have suggestions from anyone. I saw there is a new
Angraecoid book out as well. Any others that you know that are new, I
am open to all suggestions.
SuE
Old 18-05-2006, 09:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Andrew

Susan Erickson wrote:
We are looking at Dendrobium books in light of all the new changes to
the group, I want some recommendations.

Do you think the changes will take?
Who is the best author?

These are the two new books on the market -
Dendrobium and it's Relatives by Bill Lavarack, Wayne Harris -
paperback and not released until 8/15/06.

The Dendrobiums by Howard P. Wood - hardback
released 7/15/06.

Is there a different book I should be looking at for current
information? These are the two that Amazon lists as current.
We do have the Baker book, but it is from 1996.

Thanks for the advise.
SuE

I don't know of any current books that cover the recent changes to
Dendrobium. Lavarack et al's book is well worth having but doesn't
cover the name changes, which are still up in the taxonomical air as
far as acceptance is concerned. David Jones is due to release "A
Complete Guide to Native Orchids of Australia" later this year, which
is to include the new name changes for the Australian species. Other
than that, I think you'll have to wait until the dust settles before
the new names start appearing in books.

As far as whether or not the names will take, realistically, I wouldn't
be judging a Dendrobium book based on correct taxonomy just yet. It
will take a while for old names to fall out of favour. Dockrillia for
example is firmly established in Australia but there are plenty of
people outside Australia who still label their teretes as Dendrobium. A
lot of the orchid growing community appear unnecessarily recalcitrant
about accepting the new names so I doubt any book referring to the
larger genus as Dendrobium will be considered outdated to the
horticulturalist in the near future.

Andrew

Old 18-05-2006, 11:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

Susan,

I use Lavarack et al as my bible, supported by Baker & Baker. I don't know
which changes are concerning you, but, over here, there's a lot of "agree to
disagree" about many of the taxonomic changes. My personal perception is that
there's a fair bit of "academic exercise" in the process. You known the old
university axiom of "publish or perish". One of our society members has an
involvement in the taxonomic process, at least in regard to Aussie Dens, and I
frequently hear him say things like "that has not yet been widely accepted".

In the Lavarack et al book, the three authors concede that they could not agree
on some classifications. Their attitude was - "Here are the options; until
there's general acceptance, use the one you prefer". Then I go north and talk
to enthusiasts who spend weeks of their own time every year in the field up
there and, on the basis of what they observe, they are reluctant to accept some
of the classifications of northern dendrobes that are well acceptes by we
"outsiders" down here!

Old 18-05-2006, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Phil Diamond

Susan Erickson writes:

Lavarack, Harris & Stocker has been available in Australia for several years.
I have the Wood book on ordere and am looking forward to seeing it.

Cordiallly, Phil

We are looking at Dendrobium books in light of all the new changes to
the group, I want some recommendations.

Do you think the changes will take?
Who is the best author?

These are the two new books on the market -
Dendrobium and it's Relatives by Bill Lavarack, Wayne Harris -
paperback and not released until 8/15/06.

The Dendrobiums by Howard P. Wood - hardback
released 7/15/06.

Is there a different book I should be looking at for current
information? These are the two that Amazon lists as current.
We do have the Baker book, but it is from 1996.

Thanks for the advise.
SuE

Dr Phil Diamond
66 Cliff Street, Sandgate, Qld, AUSTRALIA 4017.
Tel +61 7 3269 0302