Old 17-05-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
plant lover

Default Symphyglossum sanguineum - help needed!

I have a Symphyglossum sanguineum and it has a new shoot that wants to bloom, I live in Calgary and it really enjoys very indirect light from a North facing window. Currently I water it once per week and it seems to like that and I recently gave it a bit of orchid fertilizer so the shoot would turn green without burning the leaves from too much light. It loves the darkness I think... But I could use some help as I am just starting out with orchids.

Thank you
Old 18-05-2006, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Very cool and very shady seems to be the way to go... Beyond that, I think
you'll be educating the rest of us!

Old 18-05-2006, 09:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

I grow mine in intermediate conditions in a glasshouse in relatively bright
conditions. It is currently flowering and has another pendulous raceme
developing which is already close to 1 meter (over 3 feet) long. You need
to be able to get this one up high so the flower spike(s) can hang down.
The flowers appear towards the end of the raceme. See Jay's link
http://www.orchidspecies.com/symphsanguinea.htm

Good luck

John

news