Old 19-05-2006, 10:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave Gillingham

Default New book coming on Australian orchids

Aussie readers who are members of a society may already know this - others
probably don't. Susan, it may interest you, depending on which sections of
Dendrobium you were particularly interested in.

The Australian Orchid Foundation is publishing in September a book by David L.
Jones called "A Complete Guide to Native Orchids of Australia". David Jones is
one of the taxonomists to the fore in reviewing the taxonomic structure of
Aussie Dens inter alia. Hence my comment to Susan.

I understand the book will be about 500pp of 300 x 230 mm, with about 1430
photos.

Our society has been advised tha AOF is taking advance orders at $75. Presumably
other Aussie societies have received the same advice. I visited the AOF website
but could find no reference, so I'm not sure whether this is a general
pre-publication offer or if it is only available to societies. But I understand
"Orchidaceous Books" (www.orchidaceousbooks.com.au) will also stock it, & is
currently taking orders.
Dave Gillingham
Old 20-05-2006, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Hi Dave

I spoke to Grahame and Margaret at orchidaceousbooks yesterday who informed
me that the book was hitting the presses as we spoke. They will be stocking
it as soon as it is shipped.

Both the ANOS groups and Species groups are currently in discussion with the
publishers to negotiate a members discount. We have not yet been told how
much the book will retail for to club members.

One of our members at ANOS in Victoria was involved in the proofing of the
book and proclaimed it as "spectacular".

Can't wait to get my copy.

Cheers

John