Old 20-05-2006, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
erik

Default Why No Blue Orchids

Why is it there are no Blue orchids. With all the hybrids and such. I have
seen every color of the rainbow but i have never seen one that is a nice
vibrant blue

Erik
Old 20-05-2006, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Erik

C walkeriana var coerulea is probably the best candidate for deep rich
uniform coerulea in the Cattleya genus. For Cattleya hybrids the C
Valentine var coerulea is a good overall blue
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...ntinecoer1.jpg

I just bought (via a Brazil connection) some C violacea var coerulea "Fabio
Nahas" x self in flask which I am coincidentally replating into hobby flasks
this weekend. I have high hopes that this grex will grow out blue true to
its parent. And, I offer a lot of coerulea Cattleya species in my flask
catalog www.OrchidFlask.com ... but it is true, we don't see a lot of good
vibrant blues in orchids. In a few hours some nerdy orchid scientists will
enter this thread and explain why that pigment/gene is so hard to
find/stimulate in orchids. That discussion bores me to sleep so I won't get
into the genetic shortcomings/failures of orchids in the blue range now.

Some Cattleya species have a good dose of blue in the lip. Cattleya
lawrenceana var coerulea Aulisi is the best example of that type of
coloration
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...oer_aulisi.jpg
Armando Mantellini sells 2" seedlings of this beauty for $200 each.
http://www.orquideariocerroverde.com/lawrenceana.htm
I have these in flask also.

One of the more blue Phalaenopsis is Krull Smith's P violacea var coerulea
Krulls Navy Blue
http://krullsmith.com/assets/phalaen...y_blue-200.jpg
I just saw Jim Krull at the Redlands this morning and he was selling 3" leaf
span Phal violacea var coerulea (Krulls Navy Blue AM/AOS 82pts x Crystelle
HCC/AOS) at the show. These should be good blues.

Blues are nice. We certainly all covet them. They are a challenge to
replicate in breeding, and I hope someone (mostly, I hope for myself)
eventually breeds some great "vibrant" blues one day.

Mick

-------------------------------

. 97.131...

Old 20-05-2006, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
erik

Mich

great Information.

Thanks

Erik

"Mick Fournier" wrote in
:

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f..._valentinecoer

http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...awren_coer_aul

http://krullsmith.com/assets/phalaen...krulls_navy_bl

e-200.jpg I just saw Jim Krull at the Redlands this morning and he was
selling 3" leaf span Phal violacea var coerulea (Krulls Navy Blue
AM/AOS 82pts x Crystelle HCC/AOS) at the show. These should be good
blues.

Blues are nice. We certainly all covet them. They are a challenge to
replicate in breeding, and I hope someone (mostly, I hope for myself)
eventually breeds some great "vibrant" blues one day.

Mick

-------------------------------

. 97.131...

Old 20-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Registered User

Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik
Why is it there are no Blue orchids. With all the hybrids and such. I have
seen every color of the rainbow but i have never seen one that is a nice
vibrant blue

Erik
Hi Erik,
You are right in that there are no proper blues in the commonly grown orchids. However, a few nice blues do come to mind. Have a look at the following sites that I've quickly pulled from Google.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~emntee/...20Page%204.htm
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/orchid/gall_02.html
http://www.secure.lewis-uk.net/david...log/Vanda.html
http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantnop/orchids/disa.htm

Weng
Old 21-05-2006, 01:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
emntee

Weng wrote:

You are right in that there are no proper blues in the commonly grown
orchids. However, a few nice blues do come to mind. Have a look at
the following sites that I've quickly pulled from Google.
http://tinyurl.com/g778w

Weng

Thank you Weng for putting the Ron Heberle Thelymitra page first when
it comes to real blue orchids, but Western Australia has some other
blue orchids too. Take a look at this page....

http://members.iinet.net.au/%7Eemnte...ar_Gallery.htm

Cyanicular orchids are some of the bluest you will find anywhere. The
whole of the Species Orchid Society of Western Australia web site has
over 1000 pictures of the WA natives including so many blue orchids, it
would turn your head.

Please enjoy

Tony