GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhynchostylis coelestis from basket to pot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/145283-rhynchostylis-coelestis-basket-pot.html)

Steve Weaver 22-05-2006 12:37 PM

Rhynchostylis coelestis from basket to pot

Does anyone who grows vandanceous orchids have experience getting a
basket-grown plant to grow in an empty clay pot? I recently potted my
Rhynchostylis coelestis (basket included) in a clay pot. There's no
growing medium in either the basket or pot and the plant is very much
root-bound in the basket with lots of healthy roots. Since I don't have
the option of suspending the plant, and because it has lots of roots
growing in every direction imaginable, I'm attempting to get it to grow
in the clay pot in order to keep it a little more tidy (and to keep its
roots from continually attempting to invade the pots of its
neighbors!). The challenge I now have is getting the basket to remain
securely inside the pot long enough for the plant's roots to have a
chance to do that job themselves. Any helpful advice I could obtain
here would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

[email protected] 23-05-2006 06:49 AM

Rhynchostylis coelestis from basket to pot

You might try charcoal (if available) or wedge pieces of styrofoam
between the basket and the clay pot.
However, the roots will soon grow out of the pot, and you'll wonder if
it should've been left alone in the basket in the first place.

T. U.