Old 22-05-2006, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Steve Weaver

Default Rhynchostylis coelestis from basket to pot

Does anyone who grows vandanceous orchids have experience getting a
basket-grown plant to grow in an empty clay pot? I recently potted my
Rhynchostylis coelestis (basket included) in a clay pot. There's no
growing medium in either the basket or pot and the plant is very much
root-bound in the basket with lots of healthy roots. Since I don't have
the option of suspending the plant, and because it has lots of roots
growing in every direction imaginable, I'm attempting to get it to grow
in the clay pot in order to keep it a little more tidy (and to keep its
roots from continually attempting to invade the pots of its
neighbors!). The challenge I now have is getting the basket to remain
securely inside the pot long enough for the plant's roots to have a
chance to do that job themselves. Any helpful advice I could obtain
here would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Old 23-05-2006, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You might try charcoal (if available) or wedge pieces of styrofoam
between the basket and the clay pot.
However, the roots will soon grow out of the pot, and you'll wonder if
it should've been left alone in the basket in the first place.

T. U.

Steve Weaver wrote:
Does anyone who grows vandanceous orchids have experience getting a
basket-grown plant to grow in an empty clay pot? I recently potted my
Rhynchostylis coelestis (basket included) in a clay pot. There's no
growing medium in either the basket or pot and the plant is very much
root-bound in the basket with lots of healthy roots. Since I don't have
the option of suspending the plant, and because it has lots of roots
growing in every direction imaginable, I'm attempting to get it to grow
in the clay pot in order to keep it a little more tidy (and to keep its
roots from continually attempting to invade the pots of its
neighbors!). The challenge I now have is getting the basket to remain
securely inside the pot long enough for the plant's roots to have a
chance to do that job themselves. Any helpful advice I could obtain
here would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

offer:flower pot,Products including Ceramic Flower Pot,Imitate Porcelain Flower Pot,Wood Flower Pot,Stone Flower Pot,Imitate Stone Flower Pot,Hanging Flower Pot,Flower Pot Wall Hanging,Bonsai Pots,Root Carving&Hydroponics Pots [email protected] Texas 0 07-09-2004 07:55 PM
Rhynchostylis gigantea samaki Orchids 24 25-02-2004 01:18 PM
Vandas in SH was Rhynchostylis care questions mg Orchids 0 08-12-2003 05:13 AM
Rhynchostylis care questions Sarah Huff Orchids 20 02-12-2003 12:12 PM
Rhynchostylis gigantea and Bollea questions Susan Jeffrey Orchids 4 21-11-2003 12:32 AM