Old 23-05-2006, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

Default Giant orchid of Phanxipang

I find it interesting that no plant name is mentioned. Must be the
cultural difference of having orchids grow in your backyard like weeds??
What does the pic look like, a Cym?

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/lifestyle/2006/05/573225/

Reka
Old 23-05-2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Tue, 23 May 2006 06:36:14 +0200, Reka
wrote:

I find it interesting that no plant name is mentioned. Must be the
cultural difference of having orchids grow in your backyard like weeds??
What does the pic look like, a Cym?

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/lifestyle/2006/05/573225/

Reka

I think this was written up once before. OR maybe it was a different
thing. I think it is a Den.
SuE
Old 23-05-2006, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

wrote:

I find it interesting that no plant name is mentioned. Must be the
cultural difference of having orchids grow in your backyard like weeds??
What does the pic look like, a Cym?

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/lifestyle/2006/05/573225/

Reka

Giant Orchid
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Subfamily: Vandoideae
Tribe: Cymbidieae
Subtribe: Cyrtopodiinae
Alliance: Cymbidium
Genus: Grammatophyllum
Species: G. speciosum
Binomial name
Grammatophyllum speciosum
Blume, 1825

The Giant Orchid, Grammatophyllum speciosum, also called Tiger Orchid,
Sugar Cane Orchid or Queen of the Orchids, is the world's largest
orchid. It is native to New Guinea, Indonesia and Malaysia, growing in
crotches of large trees on exposed areas of the lowland tropical
rainforest.

It is an epiphytic and occasionally a lithophytic plant. Its cylindric
pseudobulbs can grow to a length of 2.5 m. It can grow to gigantic
clusters weighing from several hundred kilograms to more than one ton
! A Giant Orchid weighing two tons was one of the highlights in the
1851 exhibition at the Crystal Palace in London.

The roots form spectacular bundles.

Each raceme can grow to a height of 3m, bearing up to eighty flowers,
each 10 cm wide. The flowers are yellow colored with maroon or dark
red spots. These flowers are remarkable, since the lowest flowers have
no lip. It blooms only once every two to four years. This orchid can,
however, remain in bloom for up to two months.

Because of its enormous size, it is rarely cultivated.

I do believe you are closer than I was. clap
SuE
Old 23-05-2006, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

wrote:

I find it interesting that no plant name is mentioned. Must be the
cultural difference of having orchids grow in your backyard like weeds??
What does the pic look like, a Cym?

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/lifestyle/2006/05/573225/

Reka

Giant Orchid
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[...]

Well, no matter what, the orchid in the picture is not a Gram.
speciosum, IMHO. It is pure yellow, pendant, and has a different growth
habit. Or not?

Reka

Old 24-05-2006, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

I have posted a photo of Grammatophyllum speciosum on ABPO.

This plant was seen in a nursery at Kota Kinabalu on the island of Borneo.
That is my back in the photo and I am about 5ft 10 so the orchid is well
over 6 ft high. The orchid is nothing like the one shown at Phanxipang.

I agree with Reka - I suspect that it is a Cymbidium.

Cheers

John

wrote:

I find it interesting that no plant name is mentioned. Must be the
cultural difference of having orchids grow in your backyard like weeds??
What does the pic look like, a Cym?

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/lifestyle/2006/05/573225/

Reka

Giant Orchid
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 24-05-2006, 12:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

Kye wrote:
Wasnt this plant native to Vietnam???

Yes, why? Both Grammatophyllum speciosum and Cymbidiums are found in
Vietnam. At least as far as I have read in various places.

Reka
Old 24-05-2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kye

Fair call, off the top of my head, I seemed to recall that Grammatophyllum
speciosum wasn't from Vietnam... Should have cheked first

Kye

Old 25-05-2006, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Reka

"Reka" wrote in message
Kye wrote:
Wasnt this plant native to Vietnam???

Yes, why? Both Grammatophyllum speciosum and Cymbidiums are found in
Vietnam. At least as far as I have read in various places.

Reka

Well, I had to look it up to see after Sue suggested it. I don't have
anything in the top of my head! GRIN

Reka