GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dehumidifier water for orchids (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/145461-dehumidifier-water-orchids.html)

Peter A 25-05-2006 09:04 PM

Dehumidifier water for orchids

My tap water is quite hard and I don't like using it for my plants. Rain
water is great but troublesome (and unreliable) to collect. What about
using the water that my dehumidifier produces? I get about a quart a
day.

--
Peter Aitken

Ray 26-05-2006 10:30 AM

Dehumidifier water for orchids

As its is condensate from the air, it is very pure and usable for watering.

HOWEVER...as such it has no buffering capacity, so if you use a fertilizer
intended for mineral-laden water, it is very likely the pH of the solution
will be entirely to acidic for use on the plants (you will see the pH
decrease in the water alone as it absorbs carbon dioxide from the air), so
you'll need to increase the pH back to the low sixes.