Old 02-06-2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Default Ten Dollar orchids?

When I buy plants, I want to know what both the flower AND the twig look
like... A plant with an interesting twig is worthwhile, too.

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think plant sellers have a truth in advertising problem. They show
you the flower and deliver the twig. ;-))
Note; Many orchid sellers do show the twig.
Joe T
Houston

Old 03-06-2006, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

The plants I saw looked good to me - at least the ones in 'my' store.
And I hardly ever see seedlings listed online or retail, but perhaps I
am not looking in the right place. I'm not talking flasks here - I
don't want ten or twelve of one species or hybrid - I have nowhere to
put them (Rob's Rules notwithstanding)
There is one 'big' orchid show in my immediate area (though I heard
rumors that last time was it for this particular venue - The King of
Prussia Mall). I would deliberately look for small seedlings for two
reasons - one, they are less expensive and two, it's a lot of fun
watching (and helping) them grow up. I have a hard time justifying
$25.00 or more for a plant, but $5.00 or $10.00 is ... well, easier.
Perhaps 'Angel Plants' will jump in and start selling them for $2.49?
LOL
It is not my intention to offend the various vendors who contribute to
this group, or suggest they begin putting themselves out of business
trying to compete. I doubt that box stores will ever carry the variety
of orchids that is available from the many orchid vendors, or give the
help and advice I've gotten from the vendors I've used. That is also
worth while.
Well, time to go get my foot out of my mouth!
Bob

Old 03-06-2006, 05:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Tracey

bobc wrote:
Hi everyone!
Just an FYI - was at Lowes the other day and they had 2 1/2" Cattleya
seedlings for US $5.96. A Potinara, a BLC, and an LC. Sorry, don't
remember the names but they were familiar - I mean clones I heard of
before.
No, didn't buy any. At the moment I'm happy with what I have.
Anyway, if you can get to a Lowes, see if they have them. The Lowes I
was at is on the Roosevelt Blvd, just north of Grant Ave, in Northeast
Philadelphia.
Bob Campoli

Well, I'm in a little different kind of situation than most. I
live on the island of Oahu, Hawaii and there are literally dozens
of locally owned nurseries that sell orchids. I just recently
started buying orchids again after a couple of years of ignoring
the ones I already had and I've now bought from three different
places. From a military exchange garden shop (I bought a bloomless
phal originally priced $19.99 marked 75% off and a Blc Rustic
spots with two blooms, one bud and two new growths for $12.99),
from the local base thrift shop (both bloomless, one untagged
and one Onc Shary Baby for $2.00 each) and one from a 'nursery'
run by two or three elderly Oriental couples (no clue what
the orchid is, it was blooming when I bought it, kinda looks
like a pansy and it was $5.00. There's a problem buying anything
from that nursery because nothing is tagged and they don't speak
enough English to find out what the plant is. :P ) Tomorrow I'm
hitting the big flea market and reacquainting myself with the
couple who only sell there one day a week and will probably
*finally* buy one of their huge grammatophyllums (IIRC that's
what they are.)

Now, having said all of that, I grew up in east central
Indiana and have spent a lot of time living in places that
aren't Hawaii and I *know* that, in many places, the most
likely place to buy orchids are going to be at the chains.
My mother, for example, has probably visited every nursery
in a four county area in Indiana and has never seen anyone
carrying orchids. So, while I understand the thinking that,
in places like Hawaii where there are many local, family
owned nurseries, buying orchids at KMart, etc., takes a
chunk out of their business (while being, IMO, silly LOL),
in other places it's going to be the only game in town and
will likely prompt them to search out orchid growers that
are further away.

Tracey

Old 05-06-2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:03:05 -0700 in K Barrett wrote:
As to a good reliable vendor, both Tropical Orchid Farm (Or was it Exotic
Orchids of Maui?) and Carter and Holmes sell their orchids through
Amazon.com... in case one already has an Amazon account, and doesn't want
one's credit card information all over the web. Both businesses already
have web reliable presences, but you never can tell why you'd like to get
orchids from Amazon...maybe you got a gift certificate, etc.

When I was at one of the C&H open houses, they indicated that they
weren't happy with Amazon. Amazon was siginificantly more work to keep up
to date.

--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."
Old 06-06-2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

The boxes, what ever color, to your local supermarket will usally
discount once the flowers fall off, if you can find a supervisor and
you know what your talking about, one store even inproved it's display
(raised up on a higher table with humidity trays) for a little while,
don't try wally world they only knok down dead stuff.

Jack

Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On 6 Jun 2006 11:29:27 -0700, "Jack" wrote:

The boxes, what ever color, to your local supermarket will usally
discount once the flowers fall off, if you can find a supervisor and
you know what your talking about, one store even inproved it's display
(raised up on a higher table with humidity trays) for a little while,
don't try wally world they only knok down dead stuff.

Jack

Around here HD refuses to even discount the dead. It goes back to the
vendor for a full refund- is the managers comment. It does not matter
how foolish this statement is.

He feels his staff is capable of killing on demand for their friends.
Thus no discount is his way of preventing the kill to demand.
SuE
Old 07-06-2006, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pat Brennan

Hi SuE,

Welcome to the world of 'pay by scan'. HD has lead the way on this one.
Under this program the grower only gets paid for plants that are scanned
(sold). Often the contract allows a single predetermined markdown for
bloomed out plants, sometimes they do not. Plants that HD determines are
unable to be sold for the agreed price are thrown away (not scanned) and the
grower gets nothing. By contract they can not be sold for an almost dead
price. HD can treat plants like boxes of nails and it does not cost them a
penny. It is not just orchids, most of the plants sold by HD are 'pay by
scan'. The greenhouse rags plead with growers not to sign into 'pay by
scan' contracts, but more box stores are requiring it. Many annual producers
now assign staff at HD during peak season to take care of plants so they may
be scanned before they are dead.

If a plant is returned within a year, it to is scanned and the grower is
docked the full amount he was paid for the plant. It is a rough business.

Pat

Old 07-06-2006, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Pat Brennan wrote:
[...]

HD, where the CEO stalked out of the recent Stockholders meeting when
asked why he was paid 123 million a year salary in a year when HD stock
underperformed. Later he told newsmen that he needed the money to buy
orchids. I made up that last.
Joe T

Old 07-06-2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dusty

HD (the BORG) doesn't even give its employees a discount why should they be
any nicer to their customers. HD is an equal opportunity company, they
screw everybody.

Dusty

Signature file
The new AT&T YOUR WORLD CENSORED
Old 07-06-2006, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

so this is a little off topic ( should I start a new thread on social
engineering and free orchids at HD) but that would explane why after
making friends with the garden staff at a local HD in nc they told me
to walk through with them, they showed me all the "dead" plants asked
me what I thought i could bring back, then a while later when i checked
out they asked me if I would be kind enough to drop off some trash on
my way out. PS due to it's stupid policies most HD also have security
cams on the dumpsters if they are not the compactor type.

gee, gotta love corperate stewardship, err efficiency

Jack

Oh, I have given away 2 of my phal rescues, killed one and waiting for
the other 2 to rebloom before kicking them out. My revenge on the
world, spreading the addiction.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On 7 Jun 2006 08:16:55 -0700 in .com Jack wrote:
so this is a little off topic ( should I start a new thread on social
engineering and free orchids at HD) but that would explane why after
making friends with the garden staff at a local HD in nc they told me
to walk through with them, they showed me all the "dead" plants asked
me what I thought i could bring back, then a while later when i checked
out they asked me if I would be kind enough to drop off some trash on
my way out. PS due to it's stupid policies most HD also have security
cams on the dumpsters if they are not the compactor type.

gee, gotta love corperate stewardship, err efficiency

A friend recently went through the interview policy with the
other big box, Lowes. They went on and on and on about theft of
items other than office supplies.
As far as I can figure if you ever end up working at a big box,
it's perfectly acceptable to load all the office supplies into
your vehicle for private resale. But it's not okay to not pay
for a nail...

Old 08-06-2006, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Well, well, well ... I am finding this thread very interesting. I am
also finding out I'm rather naieve. I have gotten orchids discounted
from HD in the past, but this was years ago.
I am at a loss to understand their reasoning as stated by Pat Brennan.
If someone wants to rescue a mostly dead orchid, mark it down and send
the grower a pecentage. The receipt could read 'no guarentee' and we
all go home happy!
Bob

Old 08-06-2006, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On 7 Jun 2006 18:59:49 -0700, "bobc" wrote:

Well, well, well ... I am finding this thread very interesting. I am
also finding out I'm rather naieve. I have gotten orchids discounted
from HD in the past, but this was years ago.
I am at a loss to understand their reasoning as stated by Pat Brennan.
If someone wants to rescue a mostly dead orchid, mark it down and send
the grower a pecentage. The receipt could read 'no guarentee' and we
all go home happy!
Bob

They fear you will bring it back with out the scan code - with a
different receipt.... or no receipt and claim the full price.
SuE