GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Orchid Queery (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/145701-orchid-queery.html)

Adrianna 31-05-2006 04:03 AM

Orchid Queery

I have recently been given some orchids. listed below are th names on the tags attached to the pots.
1.Highburniensi/Scantillation.
2.R Prown
3. Abrum (96)
4. Harrisoniana loddigesh. Stanley var Digbyana
5.Avril Betaugera
6.Wings of Red bright splash/Douglas Johnson York amados
7. I.G. Bonanzaterritorial. Enterprise. Digbyana var Bripetarum.
Does any one know what this means as I have a Orchid reference book but cant find any of these in there. Can any one help I would really like to know what these look like.
Regards
Adrianna

Reka 31-05-2006 08:22 AM

Orchid Queery

Adrianna wrote:
I have recently been given some orchids. listed below are th names on
the tags attached to the pots.
1.Highburniensi/Scantillation.

Could be either Cattleya Highburiensis (pink)or Laeliocattleya
Highburiensis (pink C. lawrenceana crossed with orange Laelia
cinabarina), though I have no idea what Scantillation is. No cultivar
award under that name.
2.R Prown

Could be Cattleya R. Prowe. Should be pink.
3. Abrum (96)

???
4. Harrisoniana loddigesh. Stanley var Digbyana

Hmmm...this one would take a botanist!!! Cattleya loddigesi v.
harrisoniana or loddigesi x Brassavola digbyana or????
5.Avril Betaugera

????
6.Wings of Red bright splash/Douglas Johnson York amados

Cattleya Wings of Red? - probably pink with splash petals.
7. I.G. Bonanzaterritorial. Enterprise. Digbyana var Bripetarum.

Digbyana would mean Rhyncholaelia digbyana, but what all the rest is?
Bripetarum turns up absolutely nothing on Google, must be a misspelling.
Does any one know what this means as I have a Orchid reference book but
cant find any of these in there. Can any one help I would really like to
know what these look like.
Regards
Adrianna

Looks like your benefactor liked pink Catts! Hope someone else can give
you more and better information. Good luck on growing them!

Reka

danny 31-05-2006 02:16 PM

Orchid Queery

"Reka" wrote in message
2.R Prown

Could be Cattleya R. Prowe. Should be pink.

My R. Prowe is white. If they are all various types of Cattleya alliance
plants then just read how to care for that group of orchids and you should
do ok.

-danny

Reka 31-05-2006 08:30 PM

Orchid Queery

danny wrote:
"Reka" wrote in message
2.R Prown

Could be Cattleya R. Prowe. Should be pink.

My R. Prowe is white. If they are all various types of Cattleya alliance
plants then just read how to care for that group of orchids and you should
do ok.

-danny

Funny, from the parents I would have imagined it to be pink. She asked
what they look like.

Reka

Diana Kulaga 31-05-2006 09:20 PM

Orchid Queery

C. R. Prowe is white......

Diana

Susan Erickson 01-06-2006 12:06 AM

Orchid Queery

On Wed, 31 May 2006 15:20:13 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

C. R. Prowe is white......

Diana

The unpredictable or sometimes it seems that way is why some are great
hybridizers and the rest of us just wish we understood what was going
on with that plant.

Some of these tags were really scrambled.

What shape are the plants in growth style? Are several of them in a
Cattleya style and some not?

Could any of these tags just refer to a nursery rather than the plant
name?

SuE

Kenni Judd 01-06-2006 01:36 AM

Orchid Queery

When speaking of a grex -- e.g., C. R. Prowe -- rather than a specific
clone -- e.g., C. R. Prowe 'Adrianna' (hypothetical) -- color is uncertain
until one sees the flowers. For example, all of the awarded Ctna. Jet Set
appear to be white, but most of mine are coming out in various shades of
pink with varying degrees of flaring. Likewise, when most of us think of
Slc. Jewel Box, we think red or red-orange, like 'Dark Waters' or
'Scheherazade', but there is an awarded clone 'Ora Chica' which the judges
described as bronze-gold ... And my two different clones of Vasco. Pine
Rivers barely look related -- one is blue-purple, one is a bright
rose-orange.

Just to help keep Adrianna in suspense G. Kenni

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
C. R. Prowe is white......

Diana

Susan Erickson 01-06-2006 03:17 AM

Orchid Queery

On Wed, 31 May 2006 19:36:11 -0400, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

When speaking of a grex -- e.g., C. R. Prowe -- rather than a specific
clone -- e.g., C. R. Prowe 'Adrianna' (hypothetical) -- color is uncertain
until one sees the flowers. For example, all of the awarded Ctna. Jet Set
appear to be white, but most of mine are coming out in various shades of
pink with varying degrees of flaring. Likewise, when most of us think of
Slc. Jewel Box, we think red or red-orange, like 'Dark Waters' or
'Scheherazade', but there is an awarded clone 'Ora Chica' which the judges
described as bronze-gold ... And my two different clones of Vasco. Pine
Rivers barely look related -- one is blue-purple, one is a bright
rose-orange.

Just to help keep Adrianna in suspense G. Kenni

Kenni -
Ever heard of Ascda 50th State Beauty coming out Blue?
I have the most delightful Blue Ascda - It came to me labeled as Ascda
Fiftieth State Beauty. I have been told they should all be red or
pink tones.

I wish there were an easy DNA test I could do on this one. It has
great color.
SuE