Old 02-06-2006, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg

Default Phal gigantea question

After visiting Al's greenhouse I followed his style of not cutting the old
spike on the Phal gigantea in hopes it would rebloom during the next bloom
period. After checking back with him it appears that the old spike grew a
bit during the last cycle but did not produce more flowers.

Does anyone know what happens to the old flower spike on Phal gigantea? It
appears to be green and healthy but can I expect another flush of flowers?

Good growing,
Gene

Old 02-06-2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Gene, from my experience, as long as it is green leave it alone. Only cut
it off when it browns off.

John

Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Exactly.

I only have gigantea hybrids, but they seem to get a few blooms on the older
spikes for a years or two, then put out new spikes and have a whole mess of
flowers, then wait a hear with just a few, then repeat.

Last year, my Sogo Redfox put out 1 or 2 blossoms on each of 4 old spikes.
This year one of them faded, and each of the three remaining ones had three
or four, and were joined by 5 new spikes, each bearing more than a dozen.

It might very well be my culture more than the inherent plant tendency,
though.

"John Varigos" wrote in message
m...
Gene, from my experience, as long as it is green leave it alone. Only cut
it off when it browns off.

John

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
After visiting Al's greenhouse I followed his style of not cutting the
old
spike on the Phal gigantea in hopes it would rebloom during the next
bloom
period. After checking back with him it appears that the old spike grew
bit during the last cycle but did not produce more flowers.

Does anyone know what happens to the old flower spike on Phal gigantea?
It
appears to be green and healthy but can I expect another flush of
flowers?

Good growing,
Gene

RE Rhynchostylis gigantea question Bob Walsh Orchids 1 08-05-2008 03:37 PM
Aristolochia gigantea Trunky United Kingdom 1 26-08-2005 08:47 AM
Rhynchostylis gigantea samaki Orchids 24 25-02-2004 12:18 PM
Rhynchostylis gigantea and Bollea questions Susan Jeffrey Orchids 4 20-11-2003 11:32 PM
Looking for Stipa Gigantea suppliers Nick Williamson United Kingdom 4 21-01-2003 11:59 PM