Old 05-06-2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pat Brennan

Default 'Rhein' Zygos

A while back someone was asking about a Zygo with the name Rhein something
saying they could not find anything about it. Seems there are a couple of
different Rheins out there that do not show up on Wildcat. This quarters AQ
shows a picture of Galeopetalum Giant 'Rhein Moonlight' which recently
received an AM. Seems the Rheins are clonal names, I do not know if they
are all from Galeopetalum Giant.

Pat

Old 05-06-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
A while back someone was asking about a Zygo with the name Rhein something
saying they could not find anything about it. Seems there are a couple of
different Rheins out there that do not show up on Wildcat. This quarters
AQ shows a picture of Galeopetalum Giant 'Rhein Moonlight' which recently
received an AM. Seems the Rheins are clonal names, I do not know if they
are all from Galeopetalum Giant.

Pat

I wonder if this is an instance of the clonal name becoming a trade name,
like what Julian Shaw was saying in the most recent RHS hybrid list
(downloadable at the RHS website). Much like how Kaleidoscope is the trade
name for Baldan's Kaleidoscope and we see millions of these on the market.
Or Den. Emma White. I believe - but can't be sure - that these are mostly
from the huge conglomerates who try to use naming conventions applicable to
other plants on orchids, which have a naming convention and history all
their own. Shaw's comments sound like he's really frustrated about the
whole thing.

K Barrett

Old 05-06-2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill

Pat Brennan wrote:
A while back someone was asking about a Zygo with the name Rhein something
saying they could not find anything about it. Seems there are a couple of
different Rheins out there that do not show up on Wildcat. This quarters AQ
shows a picture of Galeopetalum Giant 'Rhein Moonlight' which recently
received an AM. Seems the Rheins are clonal names, I do not know if they
are all from Galeopetalum Giant.

Pat

Hi Pat, I am quite sure the plant that started the inquiry is: Zygo.
Rhein Harlequin. I have two of them & they are 'clones. And at a show
this past season, I ran into an AOS judge who has the same 'clone.
Don't know who did it but it's a shame as the flower is very nice. Bill

Old 06-06-2006, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg

Pat,

I bought one of these from Molly at the Orchid sale at APF last February.
You were out goofing off at the time.

She had several of them at your sales table. It bloomed out and was
breathtaking. I'd love to know the story behind these. They don't show up
on the RHS. I think you got them from Kaapalia (or some Hawaiian
distributor).

Gene

Old 06-06-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg

It looks like what I have that is labeled Zygo Rhein Harekin is either
Galeopetalum Giant "Rhein Harekin" or "Rhein Harelikin"

Gene

Old 06-06-2006, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Richard

"Pat Brennan" wrote in
:

A while back someone was asking about a Zygo with the name Rhein
something saying they could not find anything about it. Seems there
are a couple of different Rheins out there that do not show up on
Wildcat. This quarters AQ shows a picture of Galeopetalum Giant
'Rhein Moonlight' which recently received an AM. Seems the Rheins are
clonal names, I do not know if they are all from Galeopetalum Giant.

Pat

Hello,

I was one of the people asking about that name. The one I bought in March
is tagged "Zspm. Rhein Moonlight".
Old 07-06-2006, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Pat Brennan

I received 'Rhein Zygos' from a couple of Hawaiian distributors last winter.
I do not know if they were all coming out of the same farm or if each
distributor was growing them. They were labeled as Zygo Rhein This or That.
There were at least three or four different types, all very nice, all
clones. I do not know if these are a case of clonal name becoming a trade
name or if flasks only got labeled with a clonal name and this has been
passed down the line. I couldn't count how many times have I seen Bllra
Marfitch sold as Bllra Howard's Dream. If they are being sold by a trade
name, the plants are most likely protected or patented. None of the plants
I have received were labeled with such restrictions. Such protection is not
enforceable if the plants are not labeled as such.

Roger Cole got both Galeopetalum Giant 'Rhein Clown' and Galeopetalum Giant
'Rhein Moonlight' awarded. I'll see him next month and will ask him what he
knows about them.

Pat

Old 23-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered User

I was interested in this thread because I just bought Gptm. Giant 'Rhein Moonlight' and went through the same confusion as to what I had. The tag in the pot actually says Glptm. Giant Rhein Moonlight from Kalapana Tropicals in Hawaii (www.kalapanatropicals.com). My research through Orchidwiz, RHS, and various forums has convinced me that the plant is Galeopetalum Giant and Rhein Moonlight the variety, with the seed parent Zygopetalum Artur Elle and the pollen parent Galeottia grandiflora. Gtpm. Giant was registered with RHS April 4 2005. I don't know if this will help anyone else out there, but I thank this forum for it's help in solving my puzzlement!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Brennan View Post
[...]