Old 05-06-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Tracey

Default Probably a stupid question...

A family moved in down the street and, for the last few weeks,
they have had a couple of pots out in front of their house.
Just from driving by, I can tell they're orchids. No flower
spikes and dendrobium-like canes. Am I pretty safe if I stop
and tell them that the fact that those orchids are in direct
sunlight from morning until dusk is probably not a good thing
for them even without knowing what exact orchid it is?

Tracey

Old 05-06-2006, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty

Well, dendrobiums can take full sun. Mine are out in it right now.
However, this would be an excellent opportunity for you to introduce
yourself to the new neighbors. Geez, I'd give anything to have an
orchid-growing neighbor...

Old 05-06-2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Kitty, I don't know about full sun in HI. Here in south FL, I wouldn't risk
full sun in summer. Dappled sun, yes, but full, non filtered sun light would
be a bit much, IMO. The only plants (of the ones I grow) that I would give
that kind of treatment here is terete Vandas. I suspect that HI is similar.

Just my two cents.

As far as talking to the neighbors, I agree with you entirely. Nothing like
a friendly hello, and that can lead into a conversation about a mutual
hobby.

Diana

Old 05-06-2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Tracey

Ray wrote:
If they've been out in the full sun for a few weeks and haven't burned, they
probably won't.

All the leaves that *were* on them are now gone. Just plain stalks at
this point.

Tracey

Old 06-06-2006, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

The sun's intensity is different up there, O.K. I should know - we moved
here in 1999 from CT, LOL!

Diana

ups.com...