Old 11-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Registered User

Location: Massachusetts
Default A New Discussion Forum

Hi,

I just wanted to announce that there is a new orchid discussion forum just starting up and we're welcoming new members. The address is www.slippertalk.com.

Thank you!
Heather
Old 11-06-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Heather wrote:
Hi,

I just wanted to announce that there is a new orchid discussion forum
just starting up and we're welcoming new members. The address is
www.slippertalk.com.

Thanks, but I like this one

Old 12-06-2006, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

what happened to the slipper orchid forum? Are you still the co-moderator
over there?

--
Heather

Old 12-06-2006, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Al wrote:
what happened to the slipper orchid forum? Are you still the co-moderator
over there?

It became apparent that a lot of us weren't welcome there, so a new
forum was created. Classic case of schism in the church of cypriology.

Slippertalk has become a pretty nice forum pretty quickly. And the
original forum is, I'm sure, still a nice place to visit although I
can't go there. Both fora will have their strengths and weaknesses, so
the more the merrier. And it is a good way to kill time.

And this is a nice group too! But, no pictures. The main selling point
of any of these bulletin board based forums. Lots of pretty pictures.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 12-06-2006, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

In my opinion, if someone like Rob is not welcomed at a forum, you won't
find me their, either.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:56:05 -0400, Rob
wrote:

Al wrote:
what happened to the slipper orchid forum? Are you still the co-moderator
over there?

It became apparent that a lot of us weren't welcome there, so a new
forum was created. Classic case of schism in the church of cypriology.

Slippertalk has become a pretty nice forum pretty quickly. And the
original forum is, I'm sure, still a nice place to visit although I
can't go there. Both fora will have their strengths and weaknesses, so
the more the merrier. And it is a good way to kill time.

And this is a nice group too! But, no pictures. The main selling point
of any of these bulletin board based forums. Lots of pretty pictures.

That is why we have ABPO.
There is a forum off the Denverorchidsociety.org site too. I don't
like moderated forums. I like this subjects flow and change. Photos
are on ABPO.. so I read both. The take me around the world instead of
into someone's private domain.
SuE
Old 12-06-2006, 11:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I guess it depends on the level of moderation. The OrchidSource and
Semi-Hydroponics forums are moderated, but that seems to be only to remove
truly inappropriate posts - something a.b.p.o could have used recently.
Beyond that, they're pretty free-flowing.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

That is why we have ABPO.
There is a forum off the Denverorchidsociety.org site too. I don't
like moderated forums. I like this subjects flow and change. Photos
are on ABPO.. so I read both. The take me around the world instead of
into someone's private domain.
SuE

Unfortunately I still can't get ABPO on my newserver. No idea why,
there are plenty of binary picture groups that i really don't think are
appropriate there... Oh well.

Rob

Old 12-06-2006, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

Typical content doesn't seem to have a lot to do with which alt groups a
newsfeed picks up.

I am sure you have been through this befo
Find out where whoever you get this newsgroup from, (news.msu.edu?) and ask
them to add ABPO
If they farm out their newsgroup feed to some other organization or company,
find out who and ask THEM.

Old 13-06-2006, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kye

Yeah, we looked at making a.b.p.o moderated, but that was sooo much bother
to implement and maintain... We have our very own resident mick so is a much
better system ;p (as long as we remember to send him our "protection"
orchids on time)

Cheers
Kye.

. ..

Old 13-06-2006, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

he hasn't been very cranky lately, been skimping and sending him
seedling?

Old 13-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Registered User

Location: Massachusetts

Hi,
Sorry it took me so long to get back here to explain further.
Rob, thank you for assiting.

Regarding forum moderation, there is moderation and then there is censorship. The latter is what has been occurring for months at the other forum. Slippertalk's emphasis is on FREE slipper speech. Unless you post something inappropriate, you won't be moderated there.

Anyway, thanks for being so gracious in allowing me to mention the new forum here. I appreciate it. My opinion about forums has always been "the more, the merrier", though I certainly have my favourites also.

FWIW I cannot get ABPO either.
__________________
~Heather
Old 13-06-2006, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Hi Heather

I once too could not get ABPO but following a chat with my Service Provider
and basically begging them and telling them I was being discriminated
against (that world always demands attention!), it was put on the system.
Was worth a call. Alternatively, you can subscribe to a paid usenet (news
group) provider such as Teranews and Giganews, or Athenanews to name a few.

Cheers

John