Old 12-06-2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Default trying to identify a couple Phals

Hello everyone!
I've had these two Phals for a few years now. Both were brought at the
same time, as seedlings. Both have doubled in size, but neither has
flowered as yet. I'm pretty sure I mixed up the tags and was wondering
if I posted their names, a Phal expert could give me an educated guess
on which is which?
Phal number one, the larger, has the tag which reads - Phal (P. Brother
Wildcat 'Ruby' x P. Carmelas Brite Lites 'Fireball') Kens. 905
12/2001.
Phal number two, which is much smaller sized (as in miniature) has a
tag which reads - Malibu Dart 'Zuma' x (uninteligible)sh 'Malibu
Otani'.
I had resigned myself to waiting until they flowered to puzzle it out,
and then decided to try asking here. Can anyone familiar with these
plants tell me if one is a miniature?
Both plants are healthy looking. The 'normal' sized one has four
leaves and is starting a new one. The miniature one has six leaves and
is also starting a new one.
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa
"If you smile at me, I will understand. For that is something
everybody, everywhere, does in the same language." (Marty Balin?)

Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Malibu Dart is a multifloral. Mine are a smaller plant. I think you have
the tag in the right pot if you have Malibu Dart in the smaller sized plant.
I can't help with the 'Malibu Otani' part. It doesn't show as a clonal name
in OrchidWiz. But Zuma Canyon (who probably did the cross) put clonal
names on plants that haven't been awarded.

K Barrett

ups.com...

Old 12-06-2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Hey Bob, Check #9848 may be of some help with the names?

http://zumacanyonorchids.com/novelty.html
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Thanks Kathy. I do have the tags in the right pots I guess. Are there
any special cultivation techniques for these miniature Phal hybrids?
Bob

Old 12-06-2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Thanks Wendy. After your reply I realized I could look up the names
through Google. I do declare that #9848 is my very plant! The
unintelligible part of the tag is that way because it snapped off, but
I remember the similarity of the names.
Thanks!
I'm slow, but I get there! :-)
Bob

Old 13-06-2006, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Bob,
No, no special cultivation techniques for small Phals, same as for large
ones.

I once read though that the two most common reasons why a Phal may grow
leaves well but not flower are

1) not enough light throughout the year -- insufficient light may actually
stimulate leaf growth since the Phal is producing more leaves to be able to
absorb light with a larger surface -- however, if there is not enough light
for flowering, the leaves of your Phal would most likely be dark green, are
they?

2) not providing the temperature difference of 10-15 degrees Fahrenheit
between night and day for about a week or two that would stimulate spike
growth to initiate flowering -- if you grow your Phals in a home that has
pretty much a constant temp day and night, that may be the problem. Try
moving the Phals closer to a window, and consider even opening the window at
night when the temperatures are forecast to be around 60 degrees Fahrenheit
at night.

That said there are some Phals that just refuse to flower and continue to
grow leaves no matter what. I have this Dtps (nicknamed Dori2) that does
that. Occasionally I check it for spikes, and then I will announce to my
husband in an excited voice, "Guess what, Dori2 is growing ..." pause
"another leaf!" ;-) I believe it currently has 18 leaves, and the maximum
that it has ever had was 20 leaves. The best remedy against that is to buy a
sufficient number of Phals so that at least some of them will flower, and so
that one can afford to be patient with the ones that only flower every blue
moon.

I hope that your Phals will not be like my Dori2.

Best,
Joanna

oups.com...

Old 13-06-2006, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Hi Joanna,
Thanks for the info. The leaves aren't too dark a green, although the
lighting issue has crossed my mind. Once I make room in my window,
I'll be moving them a bit closer to the light. There is enough light
to flower Onc Twinkle (white) at the edge of the sill farthest from the
actual glass, and the Phals will be about six inches behind the
oncidium.
As for temperature differences, the windows are open Spring to Fall,
24/7 (until the family starts lighting fires in the living room - lol
.... Well, ok, maybe a slight exaggeration for comic effect! :-)
I have a pink Phal with silvery/green banded leaves that flowers every
year (so far), but only six or so flowers each time, and another with
small 'mini' flowers that has about eight or ten or so each time.
(They were rescued from certain death!! so you would think they'd be a
_bit_ more appreciative!!)
I guess I'll just have to wait.
I figure Dori2 is now a part of the family? :-)
Bob