Old 12-06-2006, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default Water in the Land of Oz?

So, now that 60% of the country is suffering from the worst drought in 100
years, what are Australians doing to conserve water and still water their
orchids? I understand some localities are being forbidden to use a hose to
water anything. They have to use a bucket or hand sprinkler. No washing
cars, either.

Any tips?

K Barrett

Old 12-06-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:05:28 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

So, now that 60% of the country is suffering from the worst drought in 100
years, what are Australians doing to conserve water and still water their
orchids? I understand some localities are being forbidden to use a hose to
water anything. They have to use a bucket or hand sprinkler. No washing
cars, either.

Any tips?

K Barrett

Did you read the piece on the OZ society website? It has some good
ideas.
SuE
Old 12-06-2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Well, we have a tropical storm (maybe cat 1 hurricane) going up the west
coast of FL (we are on the east coast) that is expected to drop buckets of
water. We'll get enough here to make a difference. We sure need it!

We have a well for lawn watering, but I don't use it for the orchids. It's
iron heavy. Everything would turn orange in no time.

Diana

Old 13-06-2006, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kye

For my part, I pray that the plants survive between waterings, and water
VERY early in the morning to ensure that the substrate actually gets damp
enough to make a difference....

We are allowed to use a hose here three days a week in certain time slots,
and can water with a bucket any time of the day, but watering an orchid
collection with a bucket strikes me as a little desperate (except or where
mounts are concerned)

Cheers
Kye.

. ..