Old 14-06-2006, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Default pH water/medium

sandra wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I've been recently having some problems with some of my orchids, their
plant growth to be specific, they are growing smaller leaves, and I
know they're getting plenty of light because they're in a west window
with 2 40 watt 4 ft fixtures.
I water with distilled water, some of my plants are in bark, some of
them are in moss...I noticed the ones in moss and one in bark are only
having this problem...
I water with distilled water at 5.6-6.1....should the water be more
alcalinic to offset the acidity of the potting medium?
The potting medium despite being sphag is around 5.5
-Sandra

After obtaining a light meter I found that my estimate of lighting at
my plants varied by a mile from reality. :-))
Joe T

Old 14-06-2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

jtill wrote:
sandra wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I've been recently having some problems with some of my orchids, their
plant growth to be specific, they are growing smaller leaves, and I
know they're getting plenty of light because they're in a west window
with 2 40 watt 4 ft fixtures.
I water with distilled water, some of my plants are in bark, some of
them are in moss...I noticed the ones in moss and one in bark are only
having this problem...
I water with distilled water at 5.6-6.1....should the water be more
alcalinic to offset the acidity of the potting medium?
The potting medium despite being sphag is around 5.5
-Sandra

After obtaining a light meter I found that my estimate of lighting at
my plants varied by a mile from reality. :-))
Joe T

Actually different light meters read miles from each other, as well. It
is difficult to find one that works well under all circumstances. Some
are wildly inaccurate under fluorescent light, or other lighting setups.
In other words, watch the plants, not the light meter.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 14-06-2006, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Rob wrote:
jtill wrote:
sandra wrote:
[...]

Well, heck! I was feeling secure on one point! (I am also watching the
green stuff!)
Thanks Bob.
Joe T

Old 15-06-2006, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Don't rely too heavily on that light meter, without some kind of check.
The check may be your own eyes, esp. if informed by a little reading, or a
second light meter, or a friend if you don't trust your own eyes. Eyes do
also vary -- I can see the difference between our two "Catt zones," on which
the shadecloth varies by only about 15%; my husband can't. But the plants
can certainly tell. I've had plants starting to burn in the brighter area
perk right up when moved to the shadier one, and plants getting too "leggy"
in the shadier one which promptly straightened up when moved to the brighter
one. The light meter I once tried (mid-range, not the cheapest but not "top
of the line") couldn't tell much difference between the Phal zone (80%
shade) and the parking lot (full south Florida sun). Obviously, it was
returned for a refund. Kenni

oups.com...

Old 15-06-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Kenni Judd wrote:
Don't rely too heavily on that light meter, without some kind of check.
The check may be your own eyes, esp. if informed by a little reading, or a
second light meter, or a friend if you don't trust your own eyes. Eyes do
also vary -- I can see the difference between our two "Catt zones," on which
the shadecloth varies by only about 15%; my husband can't. But the plants
can certainly tell. I've had plants starting to burn in the brighter area
perk right up when moved to the shadier one, and plants getting too "leggy"
in the shadier one which promptly straightened up when moved to the brighter
one. The light meter I once tried (mid-range, not the cheapest but not "top
of the line") couldn't tell much difference between the Phal zone (80%
shade) and the parking lot (full south Florida sun). Obviously, it was
returned for a refund. Kenni

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...

After obtaining a light meter I found that my estimate of lighting at
my plants varied by a mile from reality. :-))
Joe T

Have you noticed that everything about orchids comes with a whole
mouthfull of qualifiers?!!? :-))
I have been moving my CATTS around, and Oncidiums, starting from full
shade into more spotted shade dependant on leaf color, each seems to
have it's own needs. You know of course that is a slowwwwwwwwwww
process. Orchids do not live in the fast lane!
Being from an instrument engineering background, I like things to fall
into some neat pattern, which makes one wonder why I am fooling around
with orchids.
Ray is an engineer and every once in a while you can see that in his
posts, so, trudge on!
AND THANKS FOR THE CAUTION.
Joe T

Old 15-06-2006, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Joe, that's an easy one. The first rule about orchids is that all the other
"rules" have exceptions G. Kenni