Old 18-06-2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jorge

Default buying bulbophyllum

I live in colombia, but i'm visiting NJ. can someone recomend species
of bulbophyllum to be cultivated at 6000 feet above sea level. Thanks

Old 19-06-2006, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On 18 Jun 2006 14:50:33 -0700, "jorge" wrote:

I live in colombia, but i'm visiting NJ. can someone recomend species
of bulbophyllum to be cultivated at 6000 feet above sea level. Thanks

Your altitude is not as important as the way you will be growing. DO
you grow indoors, under lights, windows, or a greenhouse? We are not
quite at 6K, but use a gh. I have to shade most of the bulbos via
some other plats or the angles from the glass. We do tend to grow
with a high humidity and of course humidity makes a difference to the
light and heat a plant can tolerate.
SuE
Old 19-06-2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Susan Erickson wrote:
On 18 Jun 2006 14:50:33 -0700, "jorge" wrote:

I live in colombia, but i'm visiting NJ. can someone recomend species
of bulbophyllum to be cultivated at 6000 feet above sea level. Thanks

Your altitude is not as important as the way you will be growing. DO
you grow indoors, under lights, windows, or a greenhouse?

Since he is in Colombia and mentioned the altitude, I would guess that
he grows orchids outside. I think 6000 ft would be in the cloud forest
zone, so intermediate/cool growers would be indicated.

Nick

Old 20-06-2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt

Jorge,

There are several small miniature species from the highlands of Papua New
Guinea that grow cool to intermediate - investigate those online and make a
list.

Ecuador has a few species that grow well for us in San Francisco in an
intermediate greenhouse with lots of water.

We're at sea level, but our climate is more like 10,000-12,000 feet due to
the cold ocean currents right off the coast.

You will also have to make sure you buy from a vendor that provides CITES
export papers. That will be hard - most growers that I know do not provide
CITES - it's too much work.

Good luck!

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org