Old 19-06-2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default Question about Cym. Little Balck Sambo "Black Magic" AM/AOS

Contact either Weggie Caughlan, Ken Jacobsen or Carl Jukkola of teh Gold
Coast Cymbidium society. Or all 3. If they can't offer you advice, no one
can.
http://www.geocities.com/goldcoastcy...?1141000674875

K Barrett

"Nancy G." wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm getting one (long story). It is seedling size small 2.5" pot with
3 growths. With the research, I can't decide whether it will prefer
cool and damp or dry and sunny. The parents of the hybrid seem at
opposite ends of the cymbidium spectrum. Have any of you grown it,
what medium and method, pot depth, etc., and have you been successful?
Culture information on line for this hybrid is spotty at best.

The pictures available on line are gorgeous, and I'd like to give it
the best chance I can.

Thank you,

Nancy

Old 19-06-2006, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
profpam

I clicked on the link showing Little Black Sambo. Yes, I, too,
purchased one from Cal-Orchids a while ago. However, the reason for the
response is to alert the end-user that unless he/she is purchasing a
mericlone the reliability of the flower and colors is not there.
Members of our society have this one and it looks nothing like the link
shown here. This is a Cymbidium canaliculatum cross and in as far as
Cymbidium canaliculatum even the species does not appear to be a
reliable one as there are sparksii and non-sparksii, which are still
considered the same species.

.. . . Pam
Everythng Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 20-06-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G.

profpam wrote:
I clicked on the link showing Little Black Sambo. Yes, I, too,
purchased one from Cal-Orchids a while ago. However, the reason for the
response is to alert the end-user that unless he/she is purchasing a
mericlone the reliability of the flower and colors is not there.
Members of our society have this one and it looks nothing like the link
shown here. This is a Cymbidium canaliculatum cross and in as far as
Cymbidium canaliculatum even the species does not appear to be a
reliable one as there are sparksii and non-sparksii, which are still
considered the same species.

Depending on how accurate the seller was, the full identification of
the orchid is Cym. Little Black Sambo "Black Magic" AM/AOS WU 510. I
don't know whether the WU 510 was from where they acquired the plant,
or from their own data base. While I know how assume can get me in
trouble, I assume that when they use the clonal name and award, that it
is a meristem or division. Also the seller used the nearly black
blooms for the picture of how the blooms should look on the plant I
will be receiving.

It was a pretty stupid thing for me to do, but I saw the listing on e
bay. I was the second bidder with 2 days to go. I did not bid with a
reserve, just one bid. Boy, was I surprised when I checked my e mail
after the weekend had won the purchase. Usually I get busy and am not
around when the listing expires and get outbid in the last few minutes.

Old 20-06-2006, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
profpam

I guess the question to ask is: Is it a mericlone or seed grown? If it
is a non-species (species are a bit more reliable in reproduction),
thus, color and all is not as dependable. (Incidentally, we are not
into mericlones yet.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System

Old 21-06-2006, 04:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G.

profpam wrote:
I guess the question to ask is: Is it a mericlone or seed grown? If it
is a non-species (species are a bit more reliable in reproduction),
thus, color and all is not as dependable. (Incidentally, we are not
into mericlones yet.

. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

At this time, I just don't know. When "Black Magic" AM/AOS was
included in the name, I assumed it was a mericlone or division. I
figure it will need to grow at least 2 years before I see a bloom (if I
am lucky). The problem I see is that it won't survive that long or if
it is something other than I expect, it will be too late to complain.
At any rate, I will try to get it to grow and bloom. Wish me luck.

Nancy