Old 19-06-2006, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Default Rain

My orchids are outside and nature ignores all the watering guidelines.
Has been pouring for three days, and nights, and more coming and my
plants look better for it. Go figure.
Joe T
Wet Houston/Baytown

Old 19-06-2006, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Most of them love a good soaking every so often. Here in FL we work around
the weather in summer, and the plants grow like mad. Our summer rains have
been delayed, but over the weekend we finally got some, and the orchids are
singing up a storm.

Diana

Old 19-06-2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Wish we could get a few days of rain. My area is about 8 inches below
normal for the year, and there's not much in the forecast. Maybe if we get
lucky a tropical storm will pass close to Atlanta this year.
-danny

ps.com...

Old 20-06-2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:31:43 -0400, "danny" wrote:

Wish we could get a few days of rain. My area is about 8 inches below
normal for the year, and there's not much in the forecast. Maybe if we get
lucky a tropical storm will pass close to Atlanta this year.
-danny

Watch what you wish for, it is H-season.
We are back in full drought mode too.
SuE
Old 20-06-2006, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

I hear you, Danny. We are way below normal here. While the weekend rain was
good to have, it's nowhere near enough to ameliorate the problem. Canals are
low, and foliage in some areas is hurting. Our own premises are fine,
because most of us have sprinkler systems that use well water. But the
orchids would like some really good natural drenching. It's hot, but the
humidity isn't high, so while that makes things more comfy for us, the
orchids would like more. We supplement as needed, with second daily
waterings for the Vandas and sometimes a quick spray in the afternoon for
everything else, just to cool them off a bit.

OTOH, I've seen pics of what Joe is living through in Houston, and it ain't
pretty!

Diana

Old 20-06-2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

When a system reaches us it is usually back down to a tropical depression
unless it was moving really fast. Back in '95 Opal was still a tropical
storm when it got here and that made a really big mess.
-danny

Old 20-06-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Diana Kulaga wrote:
I hear you, Danny. We are way below normal here. While the weekend rain was
good to have, it's nowhere near enough to ameliorate the problem. Canals are
low, and foliage in some areas is hurting. Our own premises are fine,
because most of us have sprinkler systems that use well water. But the
orchids would like some really good natural drenching. It's hot, but the
humidity isn't high, so while that makes things more comfy for us, the
orchids would like more. We supplement as needed, with second daily
waterings for the Vandas and sometimes a quick spray in the afternoon for
everything else, just to cool them off a bit.

OTOH, I've seen pics of what Joe is living through in Houston, and it ain't
pretty!

Diana

We were behind for the year but are up to average now! Check that big
orange blob on Doppler just off Galveston, soon to be in Houston!
But...so far no real bad stuff, like wind. Just water and lots of it.
Joe T

Old 20-06-2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Is it raining anywhere in the world (except Sydney)? - we are in the middle
of a drought in many areas of Australia too.

~John

Old 26-06-2006, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Well, on the subject of rain: tonight we have emptied 6 buckets of rain
water that came into our laundry room, and both David and I have just spent
2 hours on our hands and knees mopping up rain water that came into our den.
Oh, and the carpet in my bedroom closet is damp, too. Please, wish us luck
that our property management company that does maintenance for our condo
association will actually clean the gutters and snake the downspouts on
Monday (as they said they would when we reported that water had come in on
Friday) -- they said that they could not fix the problem before Monday.
Grrrr%^#$!!! Let's hope that whatever they do on Monday will actually solve
the issue. And let's hope that they won't say something stupid like must
wait until it stops raining -- it's scheduled to rain here in the Washington
DC area until Wednesday night.

One would think that with all the rain, at least my orchids would be happy,
but in the past whenever it has rained heavily I have had problems with mold
on the top of the medium -- not harmful to the orchids per se, I understand,
but not pleasant for us humans.

At least our six-months old Robert is asleep. I suspect that the rain is a
pleasant white noise to him that helps him sleep. But to be honest, at this
point I would rather have a night of kid waking up every 2 hours than to
have more water flooding our place. At least I by now know how to deal with
a kid waking up at night, and no matter how fussy he can be, I love him, but
I hate this rain!

Joanna

ps.com...

Old 26-06-2006, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 02:05:21 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

[...]

A wet/dry vaccume does wonders if it is ready to do the wet. Also a
carpet cleaning machine will help suck out the water in the rug. Just
pretend you wet it on the out sweep and do the return suck stroke.
It can pull more than you can with towels and trying to 'wick' the
water up and out.

Good luck.
SuE

Old 26-06-2006, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

wrote:

[...]

Can you get a carpet cleaning service to come in? They have real heavy
duty vacuums and fans. Wet carpets are hell. It is so hard to tell when
you have done enough. Get help. You may want to use some Physan to
knock out the mold, which is sure to be there. You may want to check
with a carpet pro on that.
Good luck.
Joe T

Old 26-06-2006, 09:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Joanna, that's awful! I concur with Sue. Get help fast, before the mold
starts. Your homeowner's policy may cover this unless it's coming in under
the doors (i.e. flooding, which is generally a separate policy).

Diana