Old 23-06-2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
plant lover

Default lighting for a Doritis pulcherrima

Does anyone know what kind of lighting and overall care a Doritis
pulcherrima likes

thanks

Old 23-06-2006, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty

plant lover wrote:
Does anyone know what kind of lighting and overall care a Doritis
pulcherrima likes

thanks

I grow mine as I would a Phalaenopsis--under lights or on an
east-facing window sill. Unlike Phals, Doritis are summer bloomers and
often kiki. Don't get water in the leaf crown or rot will ensue.

Old 23-06-2006, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Overall it takes roughly the same culture as a Phal, but I understand that
it can handle more light and less water -- I am not sure though whether more
light is required, or just that it can handle more. Also since it is summer
blooming, it does not require the temperature difference between night and
day in order to spike that most Phals need. I have read that doritis is very
adaptable. Personally I don't have a doritis itself, but just a few Dtps
that are very close to the doritis heritage, and those are doing very well
in just regular Phal conditions, in fact two of them are in spike right now
(my Dtps Kenneth Schubert -- which is a primary hybrid of doritis, and one
of my two Dtps Talitha's Gem).

By the way, do you know about doritis buyssoniana, or doritis pulcherrima
var buyssoniana. If not, you might want to look into it. It's the same as
doritis pulcherrima, only bigger flowers.

Best,
Joanna

Old 23-06-2006, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Ah, yes, I forgot about the often keiki part, good point OrchidKitty. They
will often have basal keikis.
Joanna

"OrchidKitty" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 24-06-2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Tracey

plant lover wrote:
Thank for the info - I feal silly asking but what is kiki?

Keiki, actually. Common usage term for the baby plants that
a lot of orchids will make. (Hawaiian word, actually. )

Tracey

Old 24-06-2006, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna

Take a look at these pages for information and photos of keikis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keiki

http://www.easyorchids.co.uk/site/content/view/30/71/

Old 25-06-2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
OrchidKitty

J Fortuna wrote:
snip
By the way, do you know about doritis buyssoniana, or doritis pulcherrima
var buyssoniana. If not, you might want to look into it. It's the same as
doritis pulcherrima, only bigger flowers.

Since you mentioned it...some years back, I bought a buyssoniana
'Shaffers' in Livermore, CA from Orchids of Orinda. The plant is
spiking again now. Currently the spike is two feet tall and growing--it
probably has another foot to go. It's a large, upright plant with 7
pairs of leaves, and it looks like a Vanda. Because of its size, I grow
it in a south-facing window, with ambient light from a 400-watt MH
light. It seems pretty happy there. To keep it from leaning toward the
sun, I turn it around every once in a while. It's been growing in a
large S/H pot and seems very content in that media. The thing I don't
like about this plant is the roots--not only are they in the pot, but
there are a boatload of aerial roots and roots coming out between the
leaves, which make the plant look as if it's having a Medusa
experience. Sometimes the roots poke through the leaves, which is not
attactive. The flowers are a pale lavender. It IS an interesting plant,
but I wouldn't want more than one.

By contrast, I have a nice little Doritis pulcherrima var.
champornensis (spellings vary on this), and it is a little plant with a
shorter spike and cute little lavender/rust flowers. The seller, Tom
Ritter, said that it's a Florida native. It's happy under florescent
light until it spikes.

I've also got two Doritis pulcherrima 'Stone River,' which have proved
to be very difficult to grow. The flowers are purple.

My favorite Doritis is a pulcherrima (pulcherrima 'FANGtastic AM/AOS
x pulcherrima 'Monte Vista HCC/AOS). It has dime-size peloric
yellow-and-white flowers. It's a sweet little thing, but the flower
spike is long--it got a blue ribbon at a regional orchid show.

By the way, the OP should know that many Doritis flower spikes tend to
open from the bottom up and drop the old blossoms as the new ones open,
so you don't get to see a whole spike in glorioius bloom.

Doritis Pat Brennan[_3_] Orchid Photos 4 26-10-2007 03:31 AM
Doritis roots killing leaves OrchidKitty Orchids 3 08-01-2006 04:31 PM
Doritis Potting Medium? sandra Orchids 5 10-12-2005 03:55 PM
Doritus pulcherrima wendy7 Orchids 8 15-12-2004 10:01 PM
Doritus pulcherrima wendy7 Orchids 0 15-12-2004 08:25 PM