Old 07-07-2006, 10:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Default AOS/"Orchids" question

I wished, Danny. Current exchange rate $USD 1 = $AUD 1.33741 therefore $USD
60 -= $AUD 80.

Not so cheerful
~John

"danny" wrote in message
.. .
Isn't it $72 for you? Could be worse. I have to decide whether to shell
out 51 pounds for another year of "Sight and Sound" from Britain. I like
their movie reviews, but it's gettin' a bit pricey.
-danny

"John Varigos" wrote in message
m...
Spare a thought for those of us living in Australia. $USD 60 = $AUD 80!!

Even more reason to question continuing my subscription.
~John

Old 07-07-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 21:49:42 -0400 in danny wrote:
Isn't it $72 for you? Could be worse. I have to decide whether to shell
out 51 pounds for another year of "Sight and Sound" from Britain. I like
their movie reviews, but it's gettin' a bit pricey.
-danny

Okay, I'll bite, what's the appeal of periodicals in this day and
age?
I gave up on periodicals after the incident where Mother Earth News
discovered how to misuse desktop publishing software.
I could no longer fathom paying my money for a bunch of ads that
never seemed to target me, with a bunch of articles that appeared to
be thinly veiled press releases, and a lot of bad graphic design
without redeeming content.
(Granted, most of my periodicals were computer industry).

I can see plunking down the cash for a book with good content
or the rarity a book with good content and good form.
But a periodical that comes out period after period is going
to have spells of bad content at best.
--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."

Old 08-07-2006, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
unknown

In article ,
? wrote:

Okay, I'll bite, what's the appeal of periodicals in this day and
age?

in this particular case, two words: eye candy.

seriously though, i find some of the articles useful and i like the
calendar in the back. ads do nothing for me.

i *have* cut down on my subscriptions to other thing, i must admit, but
i'm still addicted to the sunday paper. (i read the daily online.)

(as for the orchid book discussion above--i have about three i think.
that's about all i need.)

--j_a

Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt

Chris,

For me, my subscription to Orchid Digest is like getting a book four times a
year. It's a quarterly magazine and every issue is filled with valuable
information. The photography is always top notch, articles very nice, and
the graphic design is *slowly* improving. The graphic design has always been
the weakest part of Orchid Digest, but that is always overshadowed by the
sheer amount of useful info contained in every issue.

The Orchid Review out of England has taken a dramatic upswing in quality the
last year or so - I'm thinking about starting a subscription.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

rg...

Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

Eric

I started subscribing to The Orchid Review about 6 years ago (sorry I didn't
start earlier) and it is well worth the price. Excellent articles and
photography and layout is much improved, Go for it.
~John

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Chris,

For me, my subscription to Orchid Digest is like getting a book four times
a year. It's a quarterly magazine and every issue is filled with valuable
information. The photography is always top notch, articles very nice, and
the graphic design is *slowly* improving. The graphic design has always
been the weakest part of Orchid Digest, but that is always overshadowed by
the sheer amount of useful info contained in every issue.

The Orchid Review out of England has taken a dramatic upswing in quality
the last year or so - I'm thinking about starting a subscription.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

rg...

Old 10-07-2006, 11:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Chris,

For me, my subscription to Orchid Digest is like getting a book four times
a year. It's a quarterly magazine and every issue is filled with valuable
information. The photography is always top notch, articles very nice, and
the graphic design is *slowly* improving. The graphic design has always
been the weakest part of Orchid Digest, but that is always overshadowed by
the sheer amount of useful info contained in every issue.

The Orchid Review out of England has taken a dramatic upswing in quality
the last year or so - I'm thinking about starting a subscription.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

rg...
wrote:
Okay, I'll bite, what's the appeal of periodicals in this day and
age?

You guys could sell your old copies on ebay! That way you get your
money back and I get to read the rag. ;-))
Joe T, Bayou Baytown, Tx.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt

Heresy! With a good index a magazine collection retains its utility for many
years. =)

I look on eBay for back issues! *grin*

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

oups.com...

Old 10-07-2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 08:01:03 -0700, "Eric Hunt"
wrote:

Heresy! With a good index a magazine collection retains its utility for many
years. =)

I look on eBay for back issues! *grin*

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"jtill" wrote in message
roups.com...
You guys could sell your old copies on ebay! That way you get your
money back and I get to read the rag. ;-))

If there is a particular year - or set you want --
our OS has a lot of old ones selling for about $5 a year I think.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Tol Robsan 'Orchid World' AM/AOS x Rdcdm Rose Ganauchau 'Hackneau' HCC/AOS x2 v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 24-04-2008 01:19 PM
C Swan Lake 'Cimmaron Valley' AM/AOS X C Joan Lines 'Jean' AM/AOS V_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 15-01-2008 11:01 PM
AOS - Orchids John Varigos Orchids 2 25-10-2006 02:16 PM
Question about Cym. Little Balck Sambo "Black Magic" AM/AOS K Barrett Orchids 5 21-06-2006 05:59 AM
Question about Cym. Little Balck Sambo "Black Magic" AM/AOS K Barrett Orchids 0 19-06-2006 05:20 PM