GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   'Rescue' orchid spiking! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/148022-rescue-orchid-spiking.html)

Tracey 24-07-2006 06:15 AM

'Rescue' orchid spiking!

Got a new spike coming up on my 75% off 'rescue' from the bargain
table. Its tag reads Dtps. Orglades 'Bear Hug' x Bonbori. Can't
wait. It *should* be a large white 'moth' type, correct?

Tracey

Tracey 24-07-2006 06:17 AM

'Rescue' orchid spiking!

Tracey wrote:

Got a new spike coming up on my 75% off 'rescue' from the bargain
table. Its tag reads Dtps. Orglades 'Bear Hug' x Bonbori. Can't
wait. It *should* be a large white 'moth' type, correct?

Tracey

Oh, yeah, also spiking are my $2 Sharry Baby and three others that
I'll have to dig out the tags out of.

Tracey

Susan Erickson 24-07-2006 11:43 AM

'Rescue' orchid spiking!

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 05:15:09 GMT, Tracey wrote:
Got a new spike coming up on my 75% off 'rescue' from the bargain
table. Its tag reads Dtps. Orglades 'Bear Hug' x Bonbori.

Tracey -
The Dtps is not a clone Bear Hug. The registered name of that parent
is Dtps Orglade's Bear Hug and the other is Phal Bonbori. I checked
my Wildcatt for a registered name. But I don't show the cross has
been registered. Neither of the parents have awards.

Phal Bonbori is 40% amabilis, 43% rimestadiana, 15% aphrodite, and
about 1.5% schilleriana according to Wildcatt. But is rimestadiana a
synonym for amabilis? One reference I have suggests it is.

Dtps Orglade's Bear Hug is 34% rimestadiana and 36% amabilis. 14%
aphrodite and 4.5% each of pulcherima, equestris, sanderiana, with
just a dash of stuartiana and schilleriana.

Now both of these hybrids are 3 or 4 generations away from a species
so any one or all of these assumptions could be wrong.

What fun. I do agree you are probably looking at a white.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Ray[_1_] 24-07-2006 11:51 AM

'Rescue' orchid spiking!

You're probably right about the color.

Both have a lot of amabilis and rimestadiana in them, and while Orglade's
Bear Hug (note lack of quotes) does have a smattering of other species like
schilleriana, equestris, pulcherrima, and stuartiana, they're from way back
and probably haven't altered the appearance much.