Old 26-07-2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default A real headbanger

Okay, I got bold or stupid and decided to try my hand at some flasks.
I've read articles, chapters, and advice at different websites.
Everybody has their own techniques, but I thought I had everything
right.

I sterilized the medium, rinsed the agar, soaked the seedlings in
physan 20, protected them from too much dry air while they got hardened
off a bit, etc. They've been planted and look pretty bad. It's been
two weeks.

Except for one. I found a stray today that had gotten tangled up in my
mop up rag left laying in a stainless sink. The stray had tumble
weeded around and was trying to grow to a dish cloth that I had used to
mop up spilled water, fungicide, plant food, and coffee.

I honestly think I over handled the plants while taking every
precaution. But a dish rag? Darn it, what happened to the need for
sanitation, air movement, light, and drainage? There is no justice.

Old 26-07-2006, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Nancy G. wrote:
[...]

Don't give up hope yet, it can take a while for a compot to get
established. And it is always a bit risky, anyway. Keep the humidity
up (that is why the dish rag plant is doing well, I bet).

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 26-07-2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Nancy: Rob is correct to say don't give up hope. We generally managed to
keep about 50% alive, to blooming-size, using the methods you described.
But, as you've noticed, it requires "overhandling."

We've had much better success rates by NOT rinsing the agar, NOT soaking in
fungicide, but just plopping the contents of the flask, agar and all, into a
prepared compot. This usually requires breaking the bottle [hammer, towel
to wrap the bottle while breaking to avoid flying glass fragments -- it's
easier to hit the big end, on a quart bottle -- and spatula required]. We
keep them shadier than their adult "cousins" for a few weeks, and if the
roots don't look good, we may spray the resulting compot(s) with Superthrive
or KLN -- no other special treatment. Kenni

ups.com...

Old 27-07-2006, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Nancy, I feel your pain. I usually follow the compot theory at
http://www.ladyslipper.com for how I deal with compots. One of the
locals says this method works for everything BUT phallies, so you have
to wash off agar etc for phallies... but YMMV, LOL!!

Once again, whatever works for you, works for you (I'm going to make a
pin that says that, one of thse days)

In the meantime, I decided, in the midst of the most horrendous heat
California has ever suffered in my lifetime here (since 1962), to set a
few pods. Of course 1 of the 4 has failed already. What was I
thinking? (WWIT?)

One of these days I'll have the answer and will be bodily accepted into
heaven, no purgatory involved, without having to pass 'Go' without
getting $200.

Spam will be deleted

K Barrett

Kenni Judd wrote:
Nancy: Rob is correct to say don't give up hope. We generally managed to
keep about 50% alive, to blooming-size, using the methods you described.
But, as you've noticed, it requires "overhandling."

We've had much better success rates by NOT rinsing the agar, NOT soaking in
fungicide, but just plopping the contents of the flask, agar and all, into a
prepared compot. This usually requires breaking the bottle [hammer, towel
to wrap the bottle while breaking to avoid flying glass fragments -- it's
easier to hit the big end, on a quart bottle -- and spatula required]. We
keep them shadier than their adult "cousins" for a few weeks, and if the
roots don't look good, we may spray the resulting compot(s) with Superthrive
or KLN -- no other special treatment. Kenni

ups.com...

Old 27-07-2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:

One of these days I'll have the answer and will be bodily accepted into
heaven, no purgatory involved, without having to pass 'Go' without
getting $200.

One Feast of the Assumption is enough or too many already.

J. Del Col

Old 31-07-2006, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Nancy G. wrote:

Except for one. I found a stray today that had gotten tangled up in my
mop up rag left laying in a stainless sink. The stray had tumble
weeded around and was trying to grow to a dish cloth that I had used to
mop up spilled water, fungicide, plant food, and coffee.

we want pictures.

--and remember Al's holy ghost orchids, which bypassed the whole flask
thing and simply grew wherever they landed in the greenhouse. it's
starting to sound like letting a pod dehisc inside a plastic baggie
with some damp sphag in it might be the best bet.

--j_a

Old 01-08-2006, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

we want pictures.

I'll consider picts. Right now they look really pathetic. BTW, the
flask I was mentioning was a tolumnia hybrid. Lots of really tiny
plants. W(TH)WIT!!! I tried them because I've mounted keikis from my
tolumnia prionochilum and those are really tough. There is a BIG
difference between even the smallest of keikis allowed to grow in the
same conditions as the mother plant and a flask received in the mail.
The flask was good and the plants healthy looking, until I mauled them.
I could probably videotape a serious comedy on "How not to do Orchids"
or "King Kong Takes up Tatting".

The tolumnias were the 6'th flask I'd done. The first was a hobby size
of Phal. violacea, the others were paphs and phrags. There is no
comparison between four types of plants. The phals were the easiest
and all 5 plants are doing well. Phrags and Paphs have those fuzzy
roots that are nearly impossible to get apart enough to separate, sort
of like trying to slide velcro.

Another complication being different suppliers...All flasks are not
created equal. 2 flasks of phrags were primo, still tricky to separate
but have hardened off and are starting to show new growth.

The other 3 (a different supplier), another story. The plants looked
good with the exception of 1 the agar had broken down and the plants
were bruised and covered with slime. However the second was totally
overgrown in the flask (leaves folded down from touching the top of the
flask, lower leaves turning brown), the third a trifle overgrown but
not to excess. During the 3rd flask (the best of the 3), I was nearly
in tears and handled them in larger clumps and less concerned with
completely rinsing. By then I was afraid if I didn't get the job
finished and walk away, I would throw the whole mess in the trash.
They look much better than the first two.

If any of the original seedlings survive long enough to grow a new
division it may not be a total loss. Theoretically I may still have
some phrags and that is the price you pay for experience. After the
last fiasco, I've considered changing my name in the group. If the
dedicated growers put 2 and 2 together, no one will sell me orchids.
As far as pics go, I wish I had gotten the look on T.'s face when he
came in a week later and found new wire racks, grow lights, and 2
shelves for my new seedlings.

--and remember Al's holy ghost orchids, which bypassed the whole

flask
thing and simply grew wherever they landed in the greenhouse. it's
starting to sound like letting a pod dehisc inside a plastic baggie
with some damp sphag in it might be the best bet.

If you have a link for that story, I'd appreciate it. If not I'd like
to hear the story.

Thank you,

Nancy

Old 01-08-2006, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Nancy G. wrote:

If you have a link for that story, I'd appreciate it. If not I'd like
to hear the story.

Thank you,

Nancy

i can't find al's original post, but look at number 3 (gene's) in this
thread; 'bout sums it up.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...1 491dd5606f0

(and i have no idea if that link will work.

--j_a

Old 01-08-2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
? ? is offline

On 1 Aug 2006 11:21:45 -0700 in .com wrote:

Nancy G. wrote:

If you have a link for that story, I'd appreciate it. If not I'd like
to hear the story.

Thank you,

Nancy

i can't find al's original post, but look at number 3 (gene's) in this
thread; 'bout sums it up.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...1 491dd5606f0

A shorter link if your reader wordwrapped it for you.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C26416F7D

--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."
Old 01-08-2006, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

i can't find al's original post, but look at number 3 (gene's) in this
thread; 'bout sums it up.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...1 491dd5606f0

(and i have no idea if that link will work.

--j_a

Perfect, thanks for the link.

Nancy

Old 01-08-2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

thx. al said his hanging phal equestris, which was dead in the sights
of the fan, ended up looking like a chia pet.

--j_a