Old 13-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Elpaninaro

Default Help! Brown spots on deflasked Paphs

Good afternoon everyone,

Well- the first troubles have struck. I deflasked three flasks of PEOY on
Thursday and put the compots into baggies for better humidity- keeping them
slightly open at the top.

Pulled them all out last night since the medium is not drying as I would like
and I will probably be going easier on the baggie treatment going forward.

Plants look great, but in one of the baggies- both compots have just a few tiny
brown spots- perhaps 5 total- on four different leaves. There are also two
crease marks on leaves that are brown, but I am pretty sure that originated as
mechanical damage.

I did not spray these plants on deflasking. Physan 20 was recommended to me if
any troubles arose, but I have not been able to find any locally.

So instead I got some Neem Oil. Specifically, I got Green Light Powerdy Mildew
Killer- which is 70% Clarified Hydrophobic extract of Neem Oil and 30% "inert
ingredients." It was the closest I could come to Neem Oil and I found no other
product with labelling that made me comfortable using it on orchids.

Is this safe for newly deflasked Paphs? Also, what concentration would you all
recommend? I am guessing I need a weak solution here, but I am not sure how
weak to make it. The problem is still very minor, so my hope is to use as
little of this as possible.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Old 14-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Elpaninaro

Around here, Physan is also called "Consan" if that helps.

--

Hugs,
Molli

Hi Molli,

Whew! I got your post and made it to the nursery just in time to make the
switch and get the Consan.

You win the gold star today! Thanks very much for the help. As fast as these
infections can spread, you just may have saved about 100 lives today.

Thanks again,

Tom.
Old 14-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Rob Halgren

Hi Molli,

Whew! I got your post and made it to the nursery just in time to make the
switch and get the Consan.

You win the gold star today! Thanks very much for the help. As fast as these
infections can spread, you just may have saved about 100 lives today.

Thanks again,

Tom.

Tom, I just use cinnamon... Sprinkle affected spots. Smells better
than physan. Or, usually, I let the little buggers die. If they are
that vulnerable to infection when they are little, they are likely to be
vulnerable when they are big. A bit darwinistic of me. Of course with
expensive flasks it is harder to do that.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit