GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   I think it must be something in the water... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/148390-i-think-must-something-water.html)

Ray[_1_] 04-08-2006 11:18 PM

I think it must be something in the water...

Ok, so as some of you know, I started growing orchids while at Georgia Tech.
Well a few years ago while taking a side-trip from Disney up to Apopka, I
learned that Jim Krull was there at about the same time.

This weekend, I found that Pat Brennan was too! (OK, he "just missed" us,
but what a strange coincidence.)

I wonder if there are any other orchid-growing "refugees from the North
Avenue Trade School" out there?

[email protected] 04-08-2006 11:31 PM

Ray wrote:
Ok, so as some of you know, I started growing orchids while at Georgia Tech.
Well a few years ago while taking a side-trip from Disney up to Apopka, I
learned that Jim Krull was there at about the same time.

This weekend, I found that Pat Brennan was too! (OK, he "just missed" us,
but what a strange coincidence.)

I wonder if there are any other orchid-growing "refugees from the North
Avenue Trade School" out there?

Apopka, eh? My mother lives there, and I've visited a number of
greenhouses in the area. Many of them are commercial sales only, no
sales less than $300 or so, but a couple of them are willing to sell
individual plants at retail. In a few years the whole place will be
developed to the max; land is just too valuable that close to the
Empire of the Rat for it to be "wasted" on greenhouses.

J. Del Col

K Barrett 04-08-2006 11:33 PM

Ray wrote:
Ok, so as some of you know, I started growing orchids while at Georgia Tech.
Well a few years ago while taking a side-trip from Disney up to Apopka, I
learned that Jim Krull was there at about the same time.

This weekend, I found that Pat Brennan was too! (OK, he "just missed" us,
but what a strange coincidence.)

I wonder if there are any other orchid-growing "refugees from the North
Avenue Trade School" out there?

Not the same thing, but Ned Nash and I were at UC Santa Barbara at the
same time. He studied botany and I marine biology.

K Barrett

danny 13-08-2006 03:33 PM

I think it must be something in the water...

You're the only one I knew of.
-danny, class of '96

Savor 03-09-2006 08:40 PM

I think it must be something in the water...

Ray,
I was cleaning up some unread email and found this. I studied
Architecture at Tech in the early 70s residing in the 'dungeons' across
from the Varsity. Dropped out for military service and GI benefits.
Never returned to Tech. Didn't catch the orchid fever until the late
90s.
Lee

You're the only one I knew of.
-danny, class of '96