Old 18-08-2006, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default 2 Problems

That's a good point, Al. It is a band-aid for most purposes.

Part of it is that there are folks that consider fungus gnats and
their larvae to be harmless, and others that think the larvae will eat
roots. I dunno which camp is correct. The reason I've been keeping
droseras as of late (aside from how easy they are to grow) is that they
have done well at controlling a modest problem I have with some paphs I'm
keeping in sphag just right now because they really need some help. I
can't let them dry out, but I don't keep them sopping wet.

How do people keep paphs in sphagnum without this problem?

The address in the header isn't valid. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 18-08-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Aaron Hicks wrote:
With respect to fungus gnats- I bought three sundews- Drosera
adelae, to be precise- from California Carnivores. They grow well
side-by-side in some orchidaria that I use for a select number of plants.
Moreover- they control the fungus gnats very effectively indeed.

I used to grow droseras. IIRC, they attract insects to an area. My
favorite was D. peltata.

I have a nepenthes in with my orchids now.

J. Del Col

Old 19-08-2006, 11:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

OK, I suspect that you are right about the neem, in my latest pots, I
noticed burn right after I sprayed them down, but I have probems with
mould, so I guess that I'll have to switch to pytosan. I grow in the
baggie system, which makes the airflow a probem, I think that I am
going to switch over to trays, a little easier to get a good airflow
into. Thanks

Light is bright shade, humidity it about 65-70% temp is about 70F
Jack

Old 21-08-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Mea culpa. Ray it is.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ