Old 15-08-2006, 09:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Another attempt from flask

Well, some things need to be tried twice. I compotted three more
flasks. The flasks arrived jumbled, 1 was deflasked and the roots
cleaned. I have to wonder about the last one. Blame it on 20 years in
the military, but if the flask was planted with 25 plants and they
guarantee 20 live plants, does the person unflasking cull the other 5?
It's a matter of semantics, but I still wonder.

This time I cut to the chase, divided them more or less evenly into an
indentation on the fine mix then rinsed the plants with K-L-N and
superthrive. The compots were then set into a shallow plastic dish and
covered with a clear plastic cover. There is about a 1/2" gap at the
bottom on two sides ( the cover square, the dish rectangle). Right now
they are out of direct light, but I will move them gradually into
place. They will have to harden off under cover on top of the mix.
The area looks like an I.C.U. for baby orchids. The only thing it
lacks is a CO2 (oxygen) tube and heart monitor.

Fortunately T. left me alone to muddle through. He hates the disorder
(to him) that potting brings. He calls the various mixes my little tub
line up. Once he got a cup for a drink that had the holes melted in
the side for a seedling in S/H. (I'll plan my attack days in advance
then slide them back down into the sleave until I'm ready to use them
for potting.) Darn, you'd have thought I planned to sabotage him
deliberately. It was hysterical. He had two streams of water down his
shirt front and across the floor. I even got "the look", one eyebrow
up and the other down, and his eyes bugging out. Unfortunately he
didn't find it nearly as amusing as I.

I don't know, maybe I'm beginning to take flasks as a personal
challenge. It started out as a way to get some interestiing and
(relatively) inexpensive orchids for myself and the fledgling orchid
society I'm involved with here in my corner of nowhere. T's more
logical about it. He thinks I should divide the orchids I haven't been
able to kill yet for the members. He's right. My tried but true are
now speciman sizes and there's really nowhere else to go with them.
Most aren't available at the box stores either. Heck, everything has
been divided at least once, some twice, and need divided again. In a
couple of days I will have a little mount line up of tolumnia
prionochilum keikeis from the 5 spikes that survived to bloom (those 4'
spikes are a rascal to keep from breaking).

By the time I deflask, compot, divide into individual pots, then I've
got as much or more invested in the orchids and materials as more
developed seedlings cost, and I'm not counting time. Listening to some
of you hoping for a 50% survival rate, it just doesn't make sense. I
laughingly coined a term while still in the Army, I call it
auto-flagellation. If all else fails, I pound my head against the
wall.

Oh well, I'm having fun. Now to get them and me to survive for 5 more
years and see if anything was accomplished. At this rate, I'll live
forever in anticipation of the blooms of the new plants, if T. doesn't
kill me first. If he trips over another little tub he just might.

Nancy

Old 15-08-2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Nancy,
I didn't notice you using a disinfectant at any stage of your work.
Why don't you sell your spares on eBay?
When watering my windowsill orchids I always get at least one soaking
from a S/H pot.
Joe T

Old 16-08-2006, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

jtill wrote:
Nancy,
I didn't notice you using a disinfectant at any stage of your work.

I had presoaked the mix with physan 20. The unused mix from last time
was (oh gasp) covered with plastic wrap and microwaved for 8 minutes.
I didn't spray the plants except for KLN and superthrive.

Why don't you sell your spares on eBay?

T. has been after me to do just that. I feel insecure about the
quality and cleanliness of the plants because I grow outside in the
summer. I'd have to offer them bare root to be sure that hitchhikers
don't get shipped out with the plants. Some of them look raggedy
because of the sun and hot dry wind. My orchids grow and bloom, but
they are not coddled. Well, some of them are, but still get pushed to
their limits. Some of my potting methods are unorthodox at best, a
combination of what works best for my growing conditions.

http://midwestorchids.com/growing-or...side-a751.html
(My apologies to the group. T. is a webmaster etc and created the
site. Then he told me to write a few articles about my experience as a
novice.) The leaves on that Catt are nice bright green and firm. The
roots healthy. The pseudo bulbs get exercise. It's vigorous and
tough. I got it originally in a 2 1/4" pot. I now have 3 nice
divisions. All are bigger than the inflated descriptions of "speciman
size" on ebay.

When watering my windowsill orchids I always get at least one soaking
from a S/H pot.

I do, too. I expect it, but I don't drink out of the pots either.

Anyway, thanks for your patience.

Nancy

Old 16-08-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Nancy G. wrote:

[...]

I think that you should use the above writeup in your eBay blurb! It
would sell! Anyway, I would buy from you over the general hype, BS
write ups of plants I see. It would pass the smell test!

Joe T

Flask for orchid tissue culture profpam Orchids 1 20-07-2003 11:08 PM
Question for those who flask seeds dusty Orchids 5 14-07-2003 01:32 PM
New paph seedlings out of flask Jonathan Phua Orchids 6 01-07-2003 09:32 AM
Flask Phal Hybrids PeterPPL Orchids 0 28-04-2003 11:56 AM
Please help: making flask and medium Thomas Wong Orchids 3 21-03-2003 04:32 PM