Old 23-08-2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Oh, shucks! My paph malipoense bud-blasted :-(

My paph malipoense bud blasted after 4 months of spiking @#$%!!! The last
time it flowered successfully in 2005 after it had been in spike for 5
months. Unfortunately in the meantime we moved to a new place, so I could
not give it exactly the same conditions, but it seemed to be doing so
well -- this spike started already in this new place and I had not moved it
or changed its conditions since it started to spike (or at least I don't
think I have). I am baffled as to why it bud-blasted, and seriously miffed
since it takes so long for this plant to do anything and so a failure is
more significant. On the upside it does have a new growth already so
hopefully it will spike again next year. Sigh!

Joanna

Old 23-08-2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana,
Yes, I have two other Paphs that are in bud on the same shelf, and a Dtps
Talitha's Gem is in bloom nearby. I will check for pests -- thanks for the
reminder, though I really really hope that that's not the cause of this bud
blast.
Joanna

Old 24-08-2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

my malipoense and the Norito Hasegawa (50% malipoense) both make spikes all
year round, but both routinely blast spikes about midway through development
during summertime. I don't know why this is, but I kind of expect it when
either starts a spike in the late spring or early summer. They get a month
or two into the process and then the spikes collapse. Spikes that start in
late summer normally start blooming 3 to five months later. Again, I don't
know what the trigger is: heat, day/night length, temps or what.

newsB3Hg.13285$RQ5.5928@trnddc03...

Old 24-08-2006, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Al,
Hmm, interesting. The successful blooming of my malipoense was on a spike
that started in September 2004 and thus bloomed in February 2005, so it is
true that the season was different than this time around. That could be it.
Joanna

Old 24-08-2006, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I don't know from true. :-) The spike blasting thing on mine is a summer
thing, for sure. The Norito CCM-maker just blasted a few summer spikes and
is starting a whole new crop of spikes for the winter bloom. It does this
every year. But I don't know what is normal for malipoense or for your
plant. I mentioned it in case anybody else saw a similar pattern.

Old 24-08-2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:35:41 GMT, "J Fortuna"
wrote:

My paph malipoense bud blasted after 4 months of spiking @#$%!!! The last
time it flowered successfully in 2005 after it had been in spike for 5
months. Unfortunately in the meantime we moved to a new place, so I could
not give it exactly the same conditions, but it seemed to be doing so
well -- this spike started already in this new place and I had not moved it
or changed its conditions since it started to spike (or at least I don't
think I have). I am baffled as to why it bud-blasted, and seriously miffed
since it takes so long for this plant to do anything and so a failure is
more significant. On the upside it does have a new growth already so
hopefully it will spike again next year. Sigh!

Joanna

Joanna, that just plain SUCKS....

Dave
Old 24-08-2006, 05:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

J Fortuna wrote:

My paph malipoense bud blasted after 4 months of spiking @#$%!!! The last
time it flowered successfully in 2005 after it had been in spike for 5
months. ..........
.......... I am baffled as to why it bud-blasted, and seriously miffed
since it takes so long for this plant to do anything and so a failure is
more significant. On the upside it does have a new growth already so
hopefully it will spike again next year. Sigh!

Joanna

Well, without the burden of that flower, maybe the new growth will turn
out bigger and stronger than it would have otherwise. Maybe it will
spend the energy it saved on making a 2nd new growth and send it on its
way to being a nice specimen plant.

Steve
Old 25-08-2006, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yup. Thanks for empathizing.
Joanna

Old 25-08-2006, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve,
Now these are some nice positive thoughts. I had not thought of that.
Thanks!
Joanna

P.S.: Maybe to make up for the malipoense bud blast, my Paph Deception II
(which is paph niveum x paph delenatii) appears to have not just one but two
buds on its current spike -- I did not know that this plant was capable of
having more than one bud per spike. So that's exciting.