Old 10-09-2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Cool article about Bob Fuchs

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...e/15473716.htm

Old 10-09-2006, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

that hunting trophy room is scary.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...e/15473716.htm

Old 10-09-2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yeah, I could go insane in that room. Among other things, it's
claustrophobic.

Diana

Old 11-09-2006, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ther whole freaking fuchs family is scary.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ha! Good one Joe T.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 11-09-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

This article confirms a judgment I reached decades ago regarding many
major-league orchidists--they're certifiably nuts or at least extremely
peculiar.

Going to orchid shows was like browsing through the DSM IV at random.

J. Del Col

Old 11-09-2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

That was unexpected, but rather observant of you. I really hate it when
coffee comes out my nose.

Actually I wouldn't limit the observation to 'major-league' as it appears
it applies to local society meetings and judging events, not to mention what
walks through my greenhouse door on a weekly basis. I wonder page, (pages)
I show up on?

That would actually be a great bumper sticker or t-shirt: "DMS IV p. 356"

oups.com...

Old 11-09-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

jtill wrote:
With 700 awards they must be good, just camera averse.
Joe T

Good is one thing. Bizarre is something else.

J. Del Col

Old 11-09-2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

South FL growers are notoriously nuts! I love Martin Motes, and he's nuts
too, but in an endearing way. I don't know Bob Fuchs, though I have been
through his greenhouse. It's quite a piece of property.

Of course, there's the age old feud to deal with, too. Lots of intrigue down
here. But boy, can they grow plants, and especially Vandaceous plants.
Nobody can argue that they don't know their stuff.

Taking a tour through orchid country down in the Homestead area is pure
bliss. So many wonderful growers!

Diana

Old 11-09-2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
South FL growers are notoriously nuts!

yeah, barbara baldan struck me as a little odd when i was down there
last.

damn, fuchs is 60? i should look that good at 60. (he was very nice
though. and a greenhouse floor one could eat off of, if one were so
inclined... but i can do without all the dead animals on the walls.

--j_a

Old 12-09-2006, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

When I was active in running a professional association of local growers in
my neck of the woods, one of the things I always emphasized to potential new
members was that a certain degree of "eccentricity" is necessary to be in
this business, and it appears to be a progressive disease (some of our
members had been growing for 30+ years ...)
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids -- moving into our 9th year in this location :)

Old 12-09-2006, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kenni Judd wrote:
When I was active in running a professional association of local growers in
my neck of the woods, one of the things I always emphasized to potential new
members was that a certain degree of "eccentricity" is necessary to be in
this business, ...

True, but then there's clinical derangement. I've met some orchidists
who shouldn't be out in public without a keeper.

J. Del Col