Old 18-09-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Taxonomy rant!

Diana Kulaga wrote:
The changes make Dave "cross," she said crucially.

Did you hear the swiftie puzzles on NPR's All Things Considered Sunday
Edition?

J. Del Col

Old 18-09-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:

Our registrar has said she'll reflect the synonyms on the tag.

-having visions of plant tags soon being the size of index cards-

-or a little orchid in a little pot tied to something the size of the
manhattan phone directory-

maybe it would be easier just to attach thumb drives or RFID chips to
them. ;-)

--j_a

PS--i'm all for the mini wheats.

Old 19-09-2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

J,
Please explain or pray tell. What are swiftie puzzles, NPR's etc.?

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 19-09-2006, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yes! Loved it. I'm one of those foolhardy people who does the Times
crossword every day in ink. Sometimes I think Will Shortz stays awake nights
finding ways to edit the Saturday puzzle so that he garners the most cusses
from his audience. G

I see you will haunt me with these! I will need to start to fight back,
y'know.

Diana

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 19-09-2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

NPR is National Public Radio. Local community colleges generally carry it on
their stations. Each Sunday at around 8:35 eastern time, the puzzle editor
of the NY Times, Will Shortz, joins the program along with the winner of the
previous weeks winner. He then presents a word puzzle for the listener to
solve, in parts. It's fun.

"Swifties" are Tom Swifties, where a statement is attributed to Tom (or
another individual) and a descriptive word is added at the end. For example:

"The bypass was successful, the cardiologist said heartily!"

More word fun here, including the occasional swifties:

http://www.miniclip.com/games/hangaroo-2/en/

Diana

"wendy7" wrote in message
J,
Please explain or pray tell. What are swiftie puzzles, NPR's etc.?

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 19-09-2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Or a link to the entire genealogy, reached by strewing shredded mini wheats,
she said ___________

Fill it in!

Diana

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 19-09-2006, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wendy7 wrote:
J,
Please explain or pray tell. What are swiftie puzzles, NPR's etc.?

NPR is National Public Radio here in the US. All Things Considered
Sunday Edition is a news and feature show on Sunday mornings. It has a
puzzle feature hosted by Will Shortz, the man who composes the Sunday
crossword puzzle in the New York Times.

Swifties are made by using a punning adverb to follow a brief
quotation. They get their name from the Tom Swift books that were
popular reading for boys up until the 1950's or so. Tom Swift was a
boy genius who was always coming up with amazing inventions. In the
books no character simply said something; they always said something
like this. "The airplane is on fire!" Tom said heatedly. That's a
Swifty.

Some other examples--

"I can't solve this puzzle," Tom said cluelessly.

"That's a weighty problem," Tom said heavily.

"I may have to go to prison," Tom said penitently

Etc, ad infinitum.

J. Del Col

Old 19-09-2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:42:37 GMT, "al" wrote:

probably, I can hear it when I shake my head vigorously.

I have one of those laser mice. It behaves badly on reflective surfaces and
sometimes if it gets a bit of hair up in the shiny hole it makes the cursor
jump around.

This is a two keyboard morning.......... Coffe is dangerous and so is
Al.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 19-09-2006, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

al wrote:
probably, I can hear it when I shake my head vigorously.

I have one of those laser mice. It behaves badly on reflective surfaces and
sometimes if it gets a bit of hair up in the shiny hole it makes the cursor
jump around.

"Reka" wrote in message

(Al, you got grit in your ball too???)

Reka

Sounds better than grit in your balls to me...but then I have no
physical balls...only figurative ones.

Reka
Old 19-09-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

At the risk of turning this thread a bit blue:
....for all the attention *those* demand, they remain relatively silent when
I shake them. Whatever's in there it isn't grit. And you should probably
be glad you don't have them. Despite all the pleasure they can provide,
they do have a direct influence on the course of one's life and once they
have spoken, they can not be overridden easily by the brain. Most of the
time one just kind of goes along for the ride and the goofy looking reward
at the end. Humans are indeed strange creatures.

. ..

Old 20-09-2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Or a link to the entire genealogy, reached by strewing shredded mini
wheats, she said wholeheartedly.

Fill it in! I don't know? Was always better at Math?

Cheers Wendy

Diana

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 20-09-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Or a link to the entire genealogy, reached by strewing shredded mini wheats,
she said ___________

Serially.

J. Del col