Old 15-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Paulo

Default Oncidium

I have bouhgt an oncidium with flowers (bought it in Home Depot) after the
flowers finished I chenged to a new pot and fresh bark. The material that
had before was more like medium size bark...quite wet. The pseudobulb is
very wrinkle....i dont know if lack of water or too much water..I am
watering once a week, with a light spray in the middle of the week. The new
medium i used is bark and perlite, more loose than before.
I have also another 2 oncidium, these ones bought from a orchid nursery, but
i have noticed one is planted in spangum moss, and the other in bark....
I am really new with orchids...and i am very confused.....spangum
moss...bark...perlite..volcanic stone....not to much water...let it dry..not
too dry...keep it wet if it is growing.....HELP

Old 15-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Gene Schurg

Paulo,

Oncidiums, like Sharry Baby and Gower Ramsey, have wrinked bulbs if they get
dehydrated. Usually this occurs because they either dry out and the roots
die or they were over watered and the roots die.

If the pseudobulbs are showing good new growth keep the base misted until
the new roots are able to take hold in the medium. If the new growth drys
out the leaves will be wrinkled and folded like an accordian.

The potting mix you use depends on what conditions you grow. In moist humid
South Florida they can slap a pseudobulb on the side of a tree and it will
take root. In the dry air of Colorado a moss mix would be acceptable to
keep the roots moist.

Personally, I use a 1/2 medium cocohusk and 1/2 aliflor mix in clay pots (by
volume) in clay pots for my large Oncidiums and small cocohusk for the
smaller ones. I also have a big cork slab in the greenhouse where a large
oncidium is growing.

Good Growing,

Gene

.. .

Old 15-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Something else to consider about the "loose" medium: before potting with
bark, it is important to soak the bark to saturate it, which gives it some
springiness. As you pot up the plant, force the bark into the pot to
compress it somewhat. It will not only give the plant more stability that
will make you happier, but the plant will like it better as well, so it will
put out new roots and really get stable.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
[...]

.. .

ONcidium Flexorum Paulo Orchids 0 11-08-2003 06:05 AM
Other backyard project on the 4th was Oncidium flexorum K Barrett Orchids 19 06-07-2003 03:44 PM
Oncidium flexorum Paulo Orchids 19 04-07-2003 05:56 PM
Oncidium and Repotting Paulo Orchids 3 15-05-2003 12:56 AM
Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby Wink Orchids 13 13-03-2003 12:45 AM