GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Name Game ... Brs. longissima x Brs. ochraleuca (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/149866-name-game-brs-longissima-x-brs-ochraleuca.html)

Gene Schurg 25-09-2006 11:36 PM

Name Game ... Brs. longissima x Brs. ochraleuca

Help!

I have a brassia cross that I've had for many years. It's in bloom now and
I may take it to the show next week.

The tag reads Brs. longissima x Brs. ochraleuca. The RHS site is not
getting any hits on this plant. Orchidspecies does not list ochraleuca as a
species and does not give any syn. Longissima is a syn for arcugiera.

Does anyone have any insite to this cross?

The spikes produce about 10 flowers with curly petals about 4 inches long.
Very petite and graceful. The flower last about two weeks and seems to
bloom three weeks before any judging or society meetings.

Gene

Gene Schurg 25-09-2006 11:49 PM

Name Game ... Brs. longissima x Brs. ochraleuca

I have another one I can't find:

Calanthe veratrifolia x kintaroi

veratrifolia is a syn of triplicata.

No hits on RHS.

Thanks,
Gene

danny 26-09-2006 02:20 AM

Name Game ... Brs. longissima x Brs. ochraleuca

kintaroi is a synonym of sylvatica. sylvatica x triplicata = Dominii
Try looking at http://www.kew.org/wcsp/home.do when you need to look up
species names.

There is a Brassia Karolyn = arcuigera x chloroleuca, registered by H&R a
few years ago.

-danny

Gene Schurg 26-09-2006 02:23 AM

Name Game ... Brs. longissima x Brs. ochraleuca

Thanks Danny,

I will check out the kew site.

Gene

. ..

Gene Schurg 26-09-2006 03:21 AM

Name Game ... Brs. longissima x Brs. ochraleuca

Ok...I could really start to hate this hobby...

The plant labeled by Hoosier Orchids as Calanthe (veratrifolia x kintaroi)
is really Calanthe (triplicata x sylvatica) which is (according to several
websites) Calanthe Dominii which is the oldest orchid hybrid.

The plant I've known for many years as Brassia (longissima x ochraleuca) was
mispelled and should be Brassia (longissima x chloroleuca) but longissima is
a synonym for arcuigera which really makes this Brassia Karolyn.

Suddenly I feel like growing the darn things is easier than tracking the
names.

Good Growing,
Gene (at least I think that is my name)

Diana Kulaga 26-09-2006 04:49 PM

Name Game ... Brs. longissima x Brs. ochraleuca

Gene (at least I think that is my name)

Are you sure, Vito?

Diana