Old 01-10-2006, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Wow, this Phal is just amazing

I just noticed a new spike on a Phal, which wouldn't be anything unusual,
except ...

This Phal (Phal Baldan's Kaleidoscope 'Golden Treasure' AM/AOS) was bought
at a Safeway grocery store on 9/19/2005 in flower on two spikes. Up until
very recently both spikes continued to be in bloom, but now only one of them
has two flowers left after more than a year of uninterrupted blooming
season. This phal is in a transparent pot, so I can tell that it's root
system looks good; furthermore it has nine healthy leaves including one
fairly new one -- so it is a healthy plant. During this one year that I have
had it (and that it has been in bloom), it has needed to be watered only 12
times, so roughly once a month watering -- that's about as low maintenance
as it gets, right?

And now this Phal has a new spike just starting. It's current flowers are
not going to last much longer, so it will not be in bloom without any break,
but still. Wow!

Does anyone else here have a Phal Baldan's Kaleidoscope? Is it in general a
hybrid that has an exceedingly long lasting blooming season? or is that a
trait that is specific to individual plants?

Joanna

Old 01-10-2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hello Joanna!

I also have a Phal Baldan`s kaleidoscope and it was a reliable bloomer.....
I`m using was because it`s recovering now from a roots rot ..... but doing
fine....

Claude

news: lRETg.1508$3T2.921@trnddc06...

Old 01-10-2006, 01:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hello again!

The longest was about 9 months !

news: g9ITg.2025$3T2.1394@trnddc06...

Old 01-10-2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have this as well. It's incredibly hardy. It nearly got fried once, but
after I put it in a basket with some spag it came roaring back. Blooms last
a long, long time.

Diana

Old 03-10-2006, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Does it look like this?
http://home.comcast.net/~katkom01/or.../IMG_2750.html
I think this is a Baldan's , but it was one of many with the tags laying
on the ground at HD. One had the Baldan tag in the pot

This one has blooming for about 6 months now. Seems as one drops off another
bud starts at the tip.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bruce,
Yes, that's either a Phal Baldan's Kaleidoscope or one that looks very
similar to it.
Joanna

Wow. Just WOW. Lilly Ponds 17 24-07-2005 06:17 PM
secret to filling the WOW Tomatolord North Carolina 0 03-06-2003 04:20 PM
wow.. clear water finally! linda mar Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 08-05-2003 02:20 AM
Wow - Blue Pleco? DWS Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 02-05-2003 04:21 AM
Wow will Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM