Old 11-10-2006, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Lighting... again....

Hello everyone..... specially the lighting gurus...

I just changed my fluorescent last weekend and I bought GE 48 inch, 40
watts, T12 fluorescent for plant / aquarium, 3100 K, 1900 lumens, CRI 90.

I grow mostly Phal and that would be ok for my needs. But I noticed other
fluorescent tubes called Sunshine, 40 watts, T12, 2250 lumens, 5000K, CRI
90.
I was wondering if 4 of those sunshine tubes would be enough to grow
oncidium and catts ?

Thanks

Claude

Old 11-10-2006, 04:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Claude,

In my experience and everything I've read - don't sweat the details about
fluorescent lighting and your orchids. Just keep the tubes switched out
every year and keep the plants the appropriate distance from the tubes and
you'll be fine. Lots of people get the cheapest tubes they can find and have
great luck. I personally made sure I got a mix of cool and warm tubes, and
my plants were quite happy. I had one fixture, two tubes, and some of the
plants were even a little too bright - had to move the restrepias completely
out and the phal's leaves were slightly yellow. The plants were about 8-10
inches below the tubes. Oh, and my gesneriads were way too bright, too.

I would think 4 of those 2250 lumen tubes would be great for minicatts.
Standards catts are probably too tall for under-lights culture. Make sure
you pot the minicats in plastic and keep them well hydrated under lights -
they dry out a lot faster than you think. Minicatts can also take more water
than standards - it's the sophronitis influence.

-Eric

Old 11-10-2006, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I am a believer in those "Sunshine" or "Sunlight" tubes with the Chroma 50
phosphor. The PAR is apparently greater than most other off-the-shelf
tubes, as indicated by the reddish hue the leaves can get, which is a
byproduct of high light intensity. They are only slightly more expensive
than daylight or cool white tubes and considerably less expensive than
aquarium/plant lights.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thank you Ray and Eric !

In fact, the sunshine tube cost only $ 5.00 each while the cold white
and warm light cost around 3.99 each !
Should I change them once or twice a year?

Thanks

Phalguy ( alias Claude )

NB: Picture are coming soon... I just bought my first digital camera...
a Canon powershot G5.....

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com

"Unknown" wrote in .net...

Hello everyone..... specially the lighting gurus...

I just changed my fluorescent last weekend and I bought GE 48 inch, 40
watts, T12 fluorescent for plant / aquarium, 3100 K, 1900 lumens, CRI 90.

I grow mostly Phal and that would be ok for my needs. But I noticed other
fluorescent tubes called Sunshine, 40 watts, T12, 2250 lumens, 5000K, CRI
90.
I was wondering if 4 of those sunshine tubes would be enough to grow
oncidium and catts ?

Thanks

Claude- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Lighting again! Claude Orchids 7 29-03-2011 06:28 PM
Little Black Ants, Again & Again Derek Mark Edding North Carolina 13 22-09-2006 06:05 PM
Steveo Spanked Again - Was: rat does the tard dance...again Aratzio Lawns 35 10-07-2004 01:02 AM
Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM