Old 12-10-2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Trophy Ideas

This came from Diana being incharge of trophies.
But I do want to suggest these beauties.

Trophies - can I suggest -- depending on your spending limits --
One we enjoy -http://www.krauskiartglass.com/

We are using the 4" x 4" Beveled Etched Panel with Stained Glass
Border. Finished size of piece with border - 6" x 6". Measured
diagonally as hung - 9" x 9" Each piece comes with one hanging hooks
attached. Colors of the glass used in the borders can be specified
according to your personal taste. -- Mary will work with you on color
or even on a new design. And it is quick - for the fact they make to
order.

We have in the past used the ornaments when we needed less expensive
but lovely awards.

There is also a local photographer who has her photos laminated into
glass cutting boards. They are beautiful but even more expensive.
If any one wants the information - I will ask for her website address.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Old 12-10-2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

K Barrett wrote:
Wow! Those sure beat what we do. (a digital picture of the plant,
framed( costs $4-16))

I'd take that... Sounds like a great trophy to me.

Last fall I went to a show in Cleveland and they printed a picture of
the trophy plant on a coffee mug. Interesting idea. I do have plenty
of mugs already (who doesn't), but it is an interesting concept in this
age of instant personalization. Maybe a T-shirt...

We have a local glass artist who does the trophies for a lot of shows in
the area. He is also an orchid grower (used to sell). He makes up some
nice glass vases with etched pictures of various orchids on them, and
they are quite inexpensive, considering. They are very nice, I like
winning them (on those rare occasions when I win something). If you are
interested in that, I can send you his contact information via e-mail.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 12-10-2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Limit hardware to hobby growers and use money saved to help defray the cost
of AOS awards granted at the show. One show gave bottles of wine--a great
prize in my book, but some members complained.

Pat

Old 12-10-2006, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hobby growers love books. Using Amazon, it's quite reasonable to get some
very nice ones, either informative or coffee table stuff, or both. Of
course, if you have lots of repeat winners (who doesn't?) then you need to
have some glass or such as well.

Diana

Old 13-10-2006, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We also have a local glass artist that makes our trophies, Larry Mayse at
Nature Glassworks (www.natureglass.com). Looking at his site I guess he
does awards for other societies too, he has a page dedicated to them. We
usually do the normal rectangular awards for best in a category and then
vases for stuff like best in show. Everyone seems to like the awards.
-danny

Old 13-10-2006, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:10:52 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Wow! Those sure beat what we do. (a digital picture of the plant,
framed( costs $4-16))

K Barrett

We tried that one year and had a horrid time getting them delivered.

We also used the botanical prints that you can find in some of the
online collections. The Paphs are popular. Most of the others not so
much.
Old 13-10-2006, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:17:04 -0400, "Pat Brennan"
wrote:

Limit hardware to hobby growers and use money saved to help defray the cost
of AOS awards granted at the show. One show gave bottles of wine--a great
prize in my book, but some members complained.

Pat

Our local glass artist did orchids on the wine glasses for the banquet
and bottle with glasses for the trophys at the 2004 AOS show in
Denver. We were going to have him do the mini slabs called Ice cubes
or something like that - -- ;^ ( He quit the glass business end of
last year. We could not find anyone local and the online were even $$
worse.

I would love your source Rob. Please lets get some good ones.

We printed a program this year and asked all the local florists and
nurserys that have a nitch of orchids to provide cash for trophys - We
got 5 to send checks. That pays for our exhibit trophys. - almost.

The best of we are using gift certificates from the show vendors -
they were at least 1/2 donated.

Our exhibit classes are not on square foot of your exhibit -- but how
you grow - lights, window, gh, art, education, novice, professional
(commerical & Botanical Gardens), group (2 or more, not same
household), and society.

So what are trophy classes for your shows?

Old 13-10-2006, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Most of our vendors make donations for a trophies, and many of our members
do the same. Even some commercial growers who do not participate in the show
send raffle plants and/or trophy donations. Names of the trophy sponsors are
listed in the program and are prominent on the certificates, so they are
properly recognized.

For award classes, we have the usual "Best of" categories. Commercial
growers are in a separate category from hobbyists. We also have a Society
class for 100 sf floor displays, table top class for 30" square tables,
niche box class for cut flowers in a 4" x 8" space, and a category for 6' x
30" table tops installed by vendors. All vendors install these displays.
Last year we had 12 vendors, and between their displays and all the rest the
room was breathtaking.

We also award a President's trophy and an AOS trophy.

Diana

news

Old 14-10-2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In the same vein as Pat's post -- please do distinguish between trophies for
hobbyists and those for professional growers. For the latter category,
plain old vulgar CASH works very well (a couple shows I know of give $100
for best grower exhibit); or trophies which are readily marketable and will
increase in value -- e.g., one year DBOS gave out collectible coins in a
nice package with the "Best in Show" awards.

Plates, vases, glasses, mugs -- tend to turn into dust collectors or
GoodWill donations. Kenni

Old 16-10-2006, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 13:35:51 -0400, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

In the same vein as Pat's post -- please do distinguish between trophies for
hobbyists and those for professional growers. For the latter category,
plain old vulgar CASH works very well (a couple shows I know of give $100
for best grower exhibit); or trophies which are readily marketable and will
increase in value -- e.g., one year DBOS gave out collectible coins in a
nice package with the "Best in Show" awards.

Plates, vases, glasses, mugs -- tend to turn into dust collectors or
GoodWill donations. Kenni

We had complaints this year because the $25 gift certificate from
Water Orchids, Hoosier, Piping Rock & Oak Hill were not permanent. "We
needed to hand out rosettes as well." Now that is what I call a dust
collector. The Pres. also complained that the certificate had a line
for the class name and number which was filled in by hand during the
show judging. She thought they should have been run thru the printer
and individually printed on site at the time. Not that she wanted to
provide the help or the printer to do so.

I saw the GC as an opportunity to cash in on the cost of vendor
plants. Go home with a beauty that I would have seen as out of my
price range.

We don't gift the Professional growers with hardware except for the
one Exhibit trophy. It was a piece of Stained Glass any vendor could
gift to the next auction/AOS fund raiser they are asked to donate to.
No personalization on it at all.
Old 17-10-2006, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

That's the right track.

We don't gift the Professional growers with hardware except for the
one Exhibit trophy. It was a piece of Stained Glass any vendor could
gift to the next auction/AOS fund raiser they are asked to donate to.
No personalization on it at all.

Shame on your Pres! If I were going to keep/frame a certificate, I'd much
rather see some handwriting on it than something straight out of a machine
(would also rather not trip over the printer during setup G) -- seems more
authentic, somehow, and certainly at least a little more personal.

In any event, I'm sure you've realized by now that you'll never please
everyone ... :( Kenni

Old 17-10-2006, 05:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:33:28 -0400, "Kenni Judd"
wrote:

In any event, I'm sure you've realized by now that you'll never please
everyone ... :( Kenni

Done my term -- I am SPRUNG -- Don't have to please anyone but me now.