Old 14-10-2006, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Wasps in the greenhouse

For the last year I have been using high intensity mind control to convince
the wasps in my neighborhood to build a nest in my greenhouse to control the
bugs on my plants.

I am glad to say it has worked. I have one large nest just outside the
south entrance and one right over my north side bench.

I like these little guys. They love to eat these devil bugs crawling on my
plants and flowers.

Mick

Old 14-10-2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

sounds like a plan. Good skill to have too. If I ever get control of my
own thoughts I will immediately begin to focus some energy on other minds to
see what happens. I should probably start small with human and squirrel
minds and work my way up to hive-type minds like wasps and such

. ..

Old 15-10-2006, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Al,

Your progressive approach by working up the mental chain is sound and should
work quite well. I am quite impressed with how efficient and thorough these
wasps are... and they never threaten me even when I am just 2 feet away from
the nest. I always hate to spray my plants with bug-killing chemicals and
I'm hoping I can ease up now with these little guys working for me in much
greater numbers.

Mick

===========

Old 17-10-2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Mick Fournier wrote:
For the last year I have been using high intensity mind control to convince
the wasps in my neighborhood to build a nest in my greenhouse to control the
bugs on my plants.
Mick

That's interesting. For the past few years, I have tried to keep the
wasps out of the orchids. It's a love hate thing. They eat bugs and
spiders, but they also randomly sting the folliage on the plants. I
suppose they do it as a way to reduce the excess, but I can see them
while they do it. Touch the stinger down, deposit a drop of venom. I
can see a pin hole open on the leaf, die back to the diameter of a
pencil, leaving a small black circle on the leaf. It doesn't spread,
just looks ugly. For all I know, the acid may actually help the orchid
in some unknown way. I know orchids seem to like ants. The grooming,
loosening around the roots, and natural food deposits they leave for
the orchids. They are just kind of nasty to have around.

Nancy

Old 18-10-2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Nancy,

I hate ants on my orchids. They nurture, tote around and groom scale.

Mick

=======================

"Nancy G." wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 18-10-2006, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Mick Fournier wrote:
For the last year I have been using high intensity mind control to convince
the wasps in my neighborhood to build a nest in my greenhouse to control the
bugs on my plants.

I am glad to say it has worked. ...

It's a fine idea, as long as the greenhouse owner isn't allergic to
wasp stings.

J. Del Col ( who keeps an epi-pen handy)

Old 18-10-2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Mick Fournier wrote:
Nancy,

I hate ants on my orchids. They nurture, tote around and groom scale.

Mick

I'm not saying I encourage ants. Just watch the plants carefully and
remove them (ants) when they appear to become too comfortable while the
plants are outside for the summer. I think preying mantis would be a
better choice than wasps and spiders, which do mechanical damage with
their stings and the undersides of leaves where spiders like to live
and attach webs. The tree frog was cute, but startled me when I
watered.

I really don't want any of them inside my plant room during the winter.
Mantis is my first choice, however, followed by spiders. Wasps may
come in while the door is open, but I don't let them build. Not
allergic, but have been stung a few times in the past. None of them
really last very long after the room is closed for the winter, not
enough for them to eat, I guess.

What kind of wasp are you trying to attract? Some are more aggressive
than others. You may try allowing a small habitat area in your
greenhouse and encourage them to build in it. A wooden bird house or
small box hung high (open on the side or without a floor), a 3"
diameter pipe hung horizontally, or just a board (untreated) where they
can attach a nest. Or possibly a source of nest building material. A
bowl of wet clean clay, small tray of wet newspapers, wet shavings, or
new soft wood. If you watch them to see where and how they build they
are easy to attract.

I Alabama, fire ants were a problem. New to them, I let them surprise
me the first time. It was a quick sprint to the water hose, where I
stripped to my underwear and washed off with a sharp spray. After that
it was all out war. Bait, spray, dig, burn, you name it. Fire ants
are some nasty little *******s. I had 2 acreas, and the surrounding
area was planted fields. A losing battle, but kept them from the area
around the house and yard.

Old 19-10-2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:40:32 -0400 in Mick Fournier wrote:
For the last year I have been using high intensity mind control to convince
the wasps in my neighborhood to build a nest in my greenhouse to control the
bugs on my plants.

I am glad to say it has worked. I have one large nest just outside the
south entrance and one right over my north side bench.

I like these little guys. They love to eat these devil bugs crawling on my
plants and flowers.

I think my fiance would kill me if I tried that.

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 19-10-2006, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Chris,

Give me her phone number... I'll talk to her.

Mick

Old 20-10-2006, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:58:00 -0400 in Mick Fournier wrote:
Chris,

Give me her phone number... I'll talk to her.

Well, she has a habit of passing out and going to shock after being stung...
She's got her reasons... but she also doesn't bother to get an
epi-pen....

Old 21-10-2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'm not allergic to wasps, thank goodness, since they have an 'affinity'
for me. If I come within a few meters of them, they (and other bees)
will, pardon the expression, make a beeline for me and sting me as much
as possible. Both this past summer and the previous one, I was attacked
by an entire nest of wasps (different nests) and received on one
occasion eleven stings and on the other, nine, in the blink of an eye
during the process of trying to bat them away after they began stinging
and running for the house. No provocation. It's been this way since
adolescence. Now, I hate them and kill them at any and every
opportunity. They are evil incarnate. Don't want them in the greenhouse.
Nor spiders, hate them too. I've been bitten numerous times, often in my
sleep. Don't really mind ants except for their little 'friends'. Best
solution I have found is frequent repeated applications of chemical
pesticides.

Mosquitoes will bite me at the same rate as other people, but fleas will
not touch me - we had an infestation a couple years ago and a hard time
getting rid of them. They weren't bothering the dogs a lot, but ate my
roommate up. Not one ever touched me.

I suppose it's a chemical thing.
Old 21-10-2006, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Tennis,

I'm a sweetie. Nothing bites me... but I did have a big mosquito bite 3
years ago. I think he was aiming for my girlfriend at the time and
accidentally hit me cause we were so close. It hurt to sit down for a day.

Mick

Old 24-10-2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John,

I thought it was wobbles... not boggles.

Mick

WAsps, wasps and more wasps Broadback United Kingdom 69 09-08-2004 09:57 AM
How to Kill spiders wasps earwigs centipedes etc Kat Gardening 14 16-05-2003 11:56 PM
the truth about wasps...and contrition Edible Gardening 0 08-05-2003 10:20 PM
Ground Wasps Lar Gardening 2 01-05-2003 05:44 AM
Wasps nest in the attic Peter Crosland United Kingdom 30 07-12-2002 07:56 PM