GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   making crosses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/150373-making-crosses.html)

janet 16-10-2006 05:11 PM

making crosses

What is the best time during a bloom cycle to make a cattleya cross? I
had beginner's luck the first time I tried. I crossed both ways, both
pods formed, matured, were sent to a flasking service, returned to me,
I planted them out, and in due time they bloomed. Now I want to cross
two of the sibs, but it's not going as smoothly. First time I tried,
the flasking service disappeared with my pods--phone disconnected, etc.
Now I'm having trouble getting the pods to form.

Is it possible to refrigerate pollen? freeze it? Sometimes two sibs I
really want to cross don't bloom at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

Janet

K Barrett 16-10-2006 09:17 PM

making crosses

Yes you can refrigeate pollen. Loosely wrap it in a small paper envelope
and put it in a jar in the refrigerator. Folks say it keeps fro a good long
time. Oldsters say they have a pollen 'vault' with old pollen from parents
they can't get anymore. Some folks store the pollen in those gel capsules,
like what medicine comes in. Best time to make the cross is when the
flower is freshest, so soon after it opens. There's a bit of info on
OrchidSafari from late 2005 and early 2006, a 3 part discussion.

K Barrett

http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html
ups.com...

Mick Fournier 17-10-2006 01:41 AM

making crosses

Kathy,

Correct.

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

janet 17-10-2006 01:13 PM

making crosses

Thanks! That's just what I wanted to know and the link to OrchidSafari
has been added to my bookmarks. Unfortunately, 9pm ET is a bit late
for me to participate in the chats, since I'm a morning person.

Janet

K Barrett 17-10-2006 10:23 PM

making crosses

Mick,

Thanks!

K Barrett
http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
. ..
Kathy,

Correct.

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

bobc 31-10-2006 02:46 AM

making crosses

Speaking of crosses - has anyone crossed Protheca (Encyclia/
Epidendrum)cochleata/cochleatum with Brassavola nodosa?
If it has been done what is the grex name? Is it pretty; fragrant?
Thanks!
Bob

Reka 31-10-2006 05:39 AM

making crosses

bobc wrote:
Speaking of crosses - has anyone crossed Protheca (Encyclia/
Epidendrum)cochleata/cochleatum with Brassavola nodosa?
If it has been done what is the grex name? Is it pretty; fragrant?
Thanks!
Bob

It goes by the poetic name of Prosavola Coral Drop Utuado:

http://image03.webshots.com/3/5/15/3...PiHmEHr_ph.jpg

Interesting color and shape.

Reka

Larry Dighera 31-10-2006 12:42 PM

making crosses

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:39:28 +0100, Reka
wrote in :

Prosavola Coral Drop Utuado:

http://image03.webshots.com/3/5/15/3...PiHmEHr_ph.jpg

Interesting color and shape.

The photo is a little difficult to read, but it looks like Long yellow
petals/sepals with a pink throated labellum? It would be interesting
to know if the cross is fragrant.

janet 31-10-2006 01:01 PM

making crosses

I'm just a rank amateur, but tried making this cross several times and
it simply didn't take. I did see a picture of it a few years ago--I
think done by someone in central america, and it was very nice. The
black in the epi came out reddish in the cross.

Janet

Larry Dighera 31-10-2006 01:02 PM

making crosses

On 30 Oct 2006 18:46:57 -0800, "bobc" wrote in
. com:

Speaking of crosses - has anyone crossed Protheca (Encyclia/
Epidendrum)cochleata/cochleatum with Brassavola nodosa?
If it has been done what is the grex name? Is it pretty; fragrant?
Thanks!
Bob

I'm thinking of crossing (Encyclia/Epidendrum)cochleata/cochleatum X
Epidendrum citrosmum. Both are citrus-like scented, and it could
produce white/cream colored flowers that would be fragrant day and
night!

My Enc. 'Summer Perfume' X Epi. citrosmum cross is just in the flask
now. If it germinates, it will be an interesting cross, and should be
quite pleasantly fragrant. I'm unsure how the resulting plant
morphology will turn out, as one is a reed-stem and the other
pseudobulbous.

Speaking of fragrance, is there any definitive conclusion regarding
the sex-linkage of inherited fragrance? Has anyone made reciprocal
crosses between fragrant and non fragrant cultivars and determined if
the fragrance trait is evident in the progeny of both capsules?