Old 24-10-2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default 2008 World Orchid Conference

Has anyone started planning on going to this yet? I already have my room
reservation and my show admission paid for. Possibly foolish,
probably idiotic, but still fun to plan ahead. I heard that the rooms
for the 2005 show in France were totally sold out midyear of 2004, so
decided to get in on the action early.

This ought to be really great...

Ray L.
Old 24-10-2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray L. wrote:
Has anyone started planning on going to this yet? I already have my room
reservation and my show admission paid for. Possibly foolish,
probably idiotic, but still fun to plan ahead. I heard that the rooms
for the 2005 show in France were totally sold out midyear of 2004, so
decided to get in on the action early.

This ought to be really great...

Ray L.

I would however be willing to bet that there are at least 4 times as
many rooms (being ver-r-ry conservative in my guess) in a ten mile
radius around Miami than around Dijon.

Reka

P.S. Di, you got our rooms ready? I am coming with @25 people...
Old 24-10-2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

planning on going, but no reservations or anything. i'll be taking my
car down there one way or another (train probably --it will have over
100k miles at that point so i'll be treating it a bit gently) so i can
stay anywhere within a couple hours of miami.

--j_a

Old 24-10-2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

P.S. Di, you got our rooms ready? I am coming with @25 people...

Bwahahahahaha! But you've reminded me to get cracking and decide which days
we want to be there and make reservations. Are you coming for the whole 8
days? Anyone else out there have plans in place?

Diana

Old 24-10-2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray,

There are some people who are planning on skipping the WOC in Miami, for
a couple reasons.

Miami is expensive, first and foremost.

The second reason - some of the specialty affinity groups, like the
Pleurothallid Alliance and the Odontoglossum Alliance, have been denied
speaker's slots during the official show times. They can only speak
before or after the show, thereby increasing costs for the members of
those affinity groups.

I'm hearing some people talk about going down to a show in Medellin,
Colombia, at the same time as the WOC. There are early talks for
Medellin to host meetings of the Pleurothallid and Odontoglossum Alliances.

I personally probably will not go to Miami, and will take a good look at
Colombia if there is an alternative event. I prefer going to orchid
country over a big city - the cities will always be there, but orchids
in the wild are rapidly disappearing, and the costs will be similiar or
lower to go to Colombia over Miami.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Old 24-10-2006, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We live less than three hours from the venue, but for whatever time we are
there I'd like to stay close. Probably we will be there for a couple of
days. I need to go look at the schedule again. It might be fun to have an
rgo meet-up, though, wouldn't it?

Diana

oups.com...

Old 24-10-2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Eric,

If we didn't live so close I doubt that we'd be going, truth be told. This
is not an inexpensive proposition, in the grand scheme of things.

Diana

Old 25-10-2006, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray L. wrote:
Has anyone started planning on going to this yet? I already have my room
reservation and my show admission paid for. Possibly foolish,
probably idiotic, but still fun to plan ahead. I heard that the rooms
for the 2005 show in France were totally sold out midyear of 2004, so
decided to get in on the action early.

This ought to be really great...

Ray L.

I will be there at least for the opening day of sales, which I take to
be Wed. Jan 23. Does anyone know if the sales will be open the night
before for the "Show Opening and Cocktail Party"? I don't see any link
to speakers or topics so there's no reason to plan on attending any of
that. Does anyone have any info on this either?

As I will be staying with friends I'll have no need of reservations
other than "Get the margaritas ready and clean the pool. I'm on my way!"
Old 25-10-2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I was planning on going but Eric's plan to go to Colombia is more enticing.
Haven't been to a WOC and was planning on going but now think I'll wait
until Singapore. Closer and hence less expensive.

Diana Re RGO / ABPO, we could all meet up in Colombia!

Cheers

John

Old 25-10-2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana,

Totally - I would expect to hear similiar comments if the Bay Area ever
hosted a WOC, and yet I would go, too! *smile*

The other reason I personally would not be interested in going is that I
would want to tour growers and botanical gardens during the visit, and the
growers are probably all too busy to conduct tours of their nursery,
especially the smaller guys.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

.. .

Old 30-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Registered User

Hi everyone! I wanted to give you some factual information on the 19WOC in Miami. It is shaping up to be the best ever. We have many vendors already signed up and our activities will be amazing. We are planning on having many tours available including tours to the American Orchid Society Visitors Center, several local growers in Homestead and the Redlands, Fairchild Tropical Gardens, etc. They are not confirmed yet, so they are not posted on the site -- but they will be soon. And, anyone can request a special tour through out official travel agency -- we will be happy to accommodate as long as there are enough people attending.

Likewise, we have more than 70 speakers confirmed representing 18 different countries. We are in the process of organizing their schedules which will be done by general type of plant so if the specialty groups want, they can come for a single day only. This too will be posted very soon, once it is completed.

Our Banquet will truly be a special evening offering everyone the sights, sounds and tastes of tropical Miami.

You can contact me directly with any questions or concerns ) or check out our website for regular updates --- www.19woc.com.
We hope to see you in Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis maynard